Track *Chat* Part III - Page 5 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > SUSPENSION > Auto X & Road Racing
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 12-10-2016, 08:21 AM   #101
Koopa Troopa
Master Member

Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copafeel87 View Post
Nice new toys
Thanks. Too bad I just spent $1800 getting the Integra ready to start next year's gymkhana series just to find out that I may have spent all that for nothing.

Gonna have to find the time and space to pull this trans off the car and see what broke. If it's something expensive, this thing is getting parted out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #102
Copafeel87

Copafeel87 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa Troopa View Post
Thanks. Too bad I just spent $1800 getting the Integra ready to start next year's gymkhana series just to find out that I may have spent all that for nothing.

Gonna have to find the time and space to pull this trans off the car and see what broke. If it's something expensive, this thing is getting parted out.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:29 PM   #103
warmmilk
Fat Free

warmmilk is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:

I don't believe you, you've threatened to sell it a bunch of times before...
warmmilk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2016, 06:04 AM   #104
Koopa Troopa
Master Member

Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Koopa Troopa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmmilk View Post
I don't believe you, you've threatened to sell it a bunch of times before...
Pretty sure my front right Ohlins is cooked as well. My exhaust has been scraping on tons of shit lately and I used to have wheel gap. Either the collars slipped, or the shock is stuck compressed.

At least having the Ohlins rebuilt and revalved for better things is cheap. Dudes can even add travel for me. Need to gain dat ride height.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #105
warmmilk
Fat Free

speaking of cooking, check out the difference between the exhaust side coilover and intake side

some Ohlins install pics:
I like this little notch on the shaft so I could tighten the nut, too bad only the fronts have it though

and turns out +50 17x10's rub on the actual wheel in the rear...

and here's the spring perch on the Fox setup I was talking about that I like better than the Ohlins setup
Old 12-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #106
Copafeel87

Quote:
Pretty sure my front right Ohlins is cooked as well. My exhaust has been scraping on tons of shit lately and I used to have wheel gap. Either the collars slipped, or the shock is stuck compressed.

At least having the Ohlins rebuilt and revalved for better things is cheap. Dudes can even add travel for me. Need to gain dat ride height.
I heard it was like $1,000 to have Ohlins rebuilt, at least for the s2k. No?
Old 12-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #107
kungkungbing
hella slow

kungkungbing might be well recognized one day on c-rsx kungkungbing might be well recognized one day on c-rsx kungkungbing might be well recognized one day on c-rsx kungkungbing might be well recognized one day on c-rsx kungkungbing might be well recognized one day on c-rsx kungkungbing might be well recognized one day on c-rsx kungkungbing might be well recognized one day on c-rsx kungkungbing might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Hoping to hit my second even in January 28-29.
Nothing special here though. I/h/e tune, 10/12k BC racing Coils, Hankook Evo 2 245/40 square, -1.75 degree camber front and -1 degree camber rear. My first ever event was in October and made me realize how much I can't drive. Hope to really improve this next event. Can't wait to get better!

If anyone is interested in the best lap of my first track day.
https://youtu.be/-GJYnJSSRX4
This was on nankangs and racelands. Wasn't the best set up.

If anyone has comments suggestions or advice I'm always open to criticism.
I am also looking to pick up a adjustable rear sway soon and also any other handling mods I can do.
I still have to mess around with my dampening at the next event but from all the reading I've done a lot people suggest I just run the rear full stiff, but even then on my square setup I should still be getting a lot of understeer.

Last edited by kungkungbing; 12-14-2016 at 11:43 AM..
kungkungbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #108
Copafeel87

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungkungbing View Post
Hoping to hit my second even in January 28-29.
Nothing special here though. I/h/e tune, 10/12k BC racing Coils, Hankook Evo 2 245/40 square, -1.75 degree camber front and -1 degree camber rear. My first ever event was in October and made me realize how much I can't drive. Hope to really improve this next event. Can't wait to get better!

If anyone is interested in the best lap of my first track day.
https://youtu.be/-GJYnJSSRX4
This was on nankangs and racelands. Wasn't the best set up.

If anyone has comments suggestions or advice I'm always open to criticism.
I am also looking to pick up a adjustable rear sway soon and also any other handling mods I can do.
I still have to mess around with my dampening at the next event but from all the reading I've done a lot people suggest I just run the rear full stiff, but even then on my square setup I should still be getting a lot of understeer.
Well you already pointed out your hand shuffling. Just get more seat time. Stiffen up the rear shocks before you get a rear sway bar. BC coils aren't exactly the best track coilovers also, so I wouldn't plan on building the handling of the car around those coilovers (same with those tires). If you do get a rear sway bar and it's adjustable, start on the softest setting first (holes on the outside) and play around from there. Also, did you mess with tire pressure settings? That can also help. In the end with more seat time, you will know what else you want from the car.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:40 PM   #109
warmmilk
Fat Free

Quote:
in the US is $100 per damper. I had mine revalved and upgraded to their race oil for a total of $550 though Sake Bomb Garage
Old 12-14-2016, 12:57 PM   #110
kungkungbing
hella slow

kungkungbing might be well recognized one day on c-rsx kungkungbing might be well recognized one day on c-rsx kungkungbing might be well recognized one day on c-rsx kungkungbing might be well recognized one day on c-rsx kungkungbing might be well recognized one day on c-rsx kungkungbing might be well recognized one day on c-rsx kungkungbing might be well recognized one day on c-rsx kungkungbing might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Quote:
Well you already pointed out your hand shuffling. Just get more seat time. Stiffen up the rear shocks before you get a rear sway bar. BC coils aren't exactly the best track coilovers also, so I wouldn't plan on building the handling of the car around those coilovers (same with those tires). If you do get a rear sway bar and it's adjustable, start on the softest setting first (holes on the outside) and play around from there. Also, did you mess with tire pressure settings? That can also help. In the end with more seat time, you will know what else you want from the car.
The BC's were about all I was willing to spend on coils and I planned on swapping the springs out to something stiffer once I got more seat time. This is my DD that's why I'm on evo2's now. They're gripper than my old nankangs so these are a upgrade to me. Eventually I plan on DD with RS3's, but that won't be till after I burn through these Evos.
As for tire pressure I kept them at 36 hot.
I appreciate the help, I plan on messing with the dampening at my next event. Definetly interested on seeing how it affects the handling.

Last edited by kungkungbing; 12-14-2016 at 12:59 PM..
kungkungbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:33 PM   #111
Copafeel87

Quote:
in the US is $100 per damper. I had mine revalved and upgraded to their race oil for a total of $550 though Sake Bomb Garage
Hmm I've heard SBG get's it cheaper than going directly with Ohlins for some reason.

Last edited by Copafeel87; 12-14-2016 at 02:35 PM..
Copafeel87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #112
Copafeel87

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungkungbing View Post
The BC's were about all I was willing to spend on coils and I planned on swapping the springs out to something stiffer once I got more seat time. This is my DD that's why I'm on evo2's now. They're gripper than my old nankangs so these are a upgrade to me. Eventually I plan on DD with RS3's, but that won't be till after I burn through these Evos.
As for tire pressure I kept them at 36 hot.
I appreciate the help, I plan on messing with the dampening at my next event. Definetly interested on seeing how it affects the handling.
Yea man play around with the dampening and tire pressures.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #113
warmmilk
Fat Free

Quote:
Hmm I've heard SBG get's it cheaper than going directly with Ohlins for some reason.
the $100 rebuild price is from when a friend of mine called Ohlins to inquire about having his rebuilt, so thats the price everyone in the US gets from Ohlins. No need for any kinda special relationship.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #114
Copafeel87

Quote:
the $100 rebuild price is from when a friend of mine called Ohlins to inquire about having his rebuilt, so thats the price everyone in the US gets from Ohlins. No need for any kinda special relationship.
That's cheap, almost Fortune Auto rebuild price cheap. Buddy Club charged me $150 per corner iirc.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:48 PM   #115
warmmilk
Fat Free

Quote:
That's cheap, almost Fortune Auto rebuild price cheap. Buddy Club charged me $150 per corner iirc.
yeah, Ohlins DFV has become the best bang for the buck real performance coilover for the applications they actually have. Most applications are right around the 2k mark, custom valving is available for a reasonable price, rebuild prices are cheap. You really gotta spend 3.5k+ to get this kinda performance anywhere else...
Old 12-15-2016, 01:28 AM   #116
Koopa Troopa
Master Member

Quote:
Over here it's 16,000 yen each for the two front shocks cause inverted and 12,000 yen each for the rears. 2,000 yen each for revalve, and springs are whatever springs cost. That's assuming the shocks don't need any machining.

Dunno if I'll have them done by the Japanese company the gymkhana guys use, or just send them to ANZE.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #117
warmmilk
Fat Free

Quote:
Over here it's 16,000 yen each for the two front shocks cause inverted and 12,000 yen each for the rears. 2,000 yen each for revalve, and springs are whatever springs cost. That's assuming the shocks don't need any machining.

Dunno if I'll have them done by the Japanese company the gymkhana guys use, or just send them to ANZE.
so basically like prices by Ohlins US...

if you're just getting them rebuilt shouldn't really matter right? I can see a difference if you were getting them revalved as well, they may have different ideas than what you're looking for
Old 12-15-2016, 10:34 PM   #118
Koopa Troopa
Master Member

They will be revalved for somewhere around the 14k front 30k rear ballpark (assuming I decide to keep the car and stuff). In other news, I did a hackjob exhaust fab for a dude with the pre TSX body Accord Euro R. I really like the suspension design of those. Kinda tempted to buy an Accord when I move back to the States. Multilink rear, wishbone front, and it has a bolt on rear subframe so you could run a massive rear sway bar without tearing the subframe off the body. Too bad the American 6th gen Accord weighs damn near 3000 pounds.

Last edited by Koopa Troopa; 12-15-2016 at 10:38 PM..
Koopa Troopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:33 AM   #119
warmmilk
Fat Free

the RSX is only a couple hundred lb lighter, if that.... and the TSX also has double wishbone front, at least the first gen... wish they woulda put that in the RSX too
Old 12-16-2016, 05:24 PM   #120
Koopa Troopa
Master Member

TSX also has the bolt on rear subframe. I'd be interested in a TSX, but I don't do sunroofs. I'd also be interested to see if the 7th gen Accord shared the TSX suspension layout, but the 7th gen Accord is too ugly for me to even care about it.

Last edited by Koopa Troopa; 12-16-2016 at 05:33 PM..
Koopa Troopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #121
warmmilk
Fat Free

Quote:
TSX also has the bolt on rear subframe. I'd be interested in a TSX, but I don't do sunroofs. I'd also be interested to see if the 7th gen Accord shared the TSX suspension layout, but the 7th gen Accord is too ugly for me to even care about it.
haha, if a sunroof is a deal breaker for you, you're limited to like 3 cars in the US... pretty much everything with rear seats has a sunroof, some without rear seats...

you and I are in the very tiny minority that doesn't like sunroofs, but you basically have to learn to ignore it if you actually wanna buy a car. in my opinion, double wishbone front suspension over strut is a much bigger deal than if a car has a sunroof
Old 12-18-2016, 01:44 AM   #122
Koopa Troopa
Master Member

Quote:
haha, if a sunroof is a deal breaker for you, you're limited to like 3 cars in the US... pretty much everything with rear seats has a sunroof, some without rear seats...

you and I are in the very tiny minority that doesn't like sunroofs, but you basically have to learn to ignore it if you actually wanna buy a car. in my opinion, double wishbone front suspension over strut is a much bigger deal than if a car has a sunroof
I've pretty much spent my whole life in deserts or on tropical islands. A sunroof to me is just something that leaks when it rains and gives you sunburn when it's open. It's also one of the dumbest things ever from a performance aspect.

Well, I emailed ANZE to see what it would run to have them work over my Ohlins.

Still not sure what I'm gonna do with the car. Right now I'm thinking about keeping it and just taking my chances with replacing whatever that broke with stock stuff, or converting the car as close to stock as I can get it and selling it for cheap.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #123
Copafeel87

From s2ki:

"$800-$1000 depending on what condition they are in and what needs to be serviced. Thanks!

-Jake

JAKE THOMPSON
Road & Track Sales // MTB Sales // Graphic Design.
Email: jake.thompson@ohlinsusa.com
Direct Office: 828-595-8085
Office: 828-692-4525 ext 310
Mobile: 828-216-0831
URL: www.ohlinsusa.com"
Old 12-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #124
warmmilk
Fat Free

Quote:
From s2ki:

"$800-$1000 depending on what condition they are in and what needs to be serviced. Thanks!

-Jake

JAKE THOMPSON
Road & Track Sales // MTB Sales // Graphic Design.
Email: jake.thompson@ohlinsusa.com
Direct Office: 828-595-8085
Office: 828-692-4525 ext 310
Mobile: 828-216-0831
URL: www.ohlinsusa.com"
yeah, I saw that... not really sure why the discrepancy. local guy with a Miata (the car I drove that sold me on Ohlins) had his set revalved and rebuilt for $200 ($100 each service). He actually ended up buying a new set for himself and the revalved/rebuilt set went to his brother. so I guess if you do both revalve and rebuild, it comes out to $800 per set... maybe that what the guy had in mind when he gave him that number...?
Old 12-21-2016, 09:57 PM   #125
Koopa Troopa
Master Member

I think the $800-$1000 is just a guestimated ranged based off whether or not machining, replacement parts, or revalves are needed. Shit's pretty cheap if all you're doing is getting gas and oil refilled and some new seals installed. Shit gets expensive if you bent a piston, have siezed adjustment valves, etc.