RBC with stock airbox - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Bolt-On Basics: RSX Type-S
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 05-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
crx7

crx7 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
RBC with stock airbox

Finally got my RBC installed. This was the biggest pain of an install ever. I swear doing an engine swap is easier. We need to add a tips and tricks section to the RBC sticky, as there are lots of little things you have to change and get just right. Anyways, I don't have a CAI yet so I made my stock box fit. All you have to do is remove two of the three bolts holding the box. Leave the nut on the back left of the box on loose and force the box and intake arm into position. Then screw the nut down tight once it fits. The lower pickup won't stay put anymore by itself so you'll need to add a hose clamp to it, so that it stays on. See attached pics...

Tips:
1) Double bolt/nut: Both Head studs need to come out to get the RBC into position, and it makes the PRC easier to get out. You do this by putting a second nut on the stud and tightening them together. Then you can remove and reinstall the studs.
2) Your cutting on the RBC need to be exact, and close to the gasket template.
3) 02-04 and 05-06 TB gaskets are different, if you order some off the internet make sure the person you're ordering from knows they're different or you'll be making modifications.
4) MAP and TPS clips are the exact same, make sure you know which is which when you take them off, or else you'll be extending both of them. BTW, don't just unwrap your harness. Get some wire and the soldering gun out, and make them long enough to fit.
5) Injector wires need to be re-routed up along the engine side of the TB, don't leave them in the stock position when you install the RBC or they'll get jammed in there.
6) A/C line. Look closely at the Karcepts picture install on this. You have to flip the bracket and force the A/C line down and to the right. It is a pain to get in the right position. See 10 as well.
7) Fuel Rail doesn't fit on the RBC. You're gonna have to drill out the bolt holes to make them wider. Problem with this is you're drilling a fuel rail full of gasoline and it's hard to get out. I took off what looks to be the FPR in order to get most of the gas out.
8)Be careful using washers when attaching the TB adapter to the RBC. Make sure that the bolt heads don't protrude at all or you'll get vacuum leak.
9) Vacuum leaks: you will need to check for vacuum leaks or it won't run/sound right. Use Carb/intake cleaner and spray around the joints, make sure everything is tight.
10) Take the throttle cable holder which is attached to the TB and move it to the RBC. It won't work any more in the stock position since the A/C line gets in the way. You can see this in my pictures.
11) The big vacuum line next to the TB on the Intake Manifold needs to be bent up in order for the hose to fit on. Take a phillip's head screwdriver stick it in and bend it up and to the left so the hose clears. Be careful not to pull it too far up as this may affect hood closure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	477.3 KB
ID:	325161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	325162  

Last edited by crx7; 05-13-2009 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: Added more install Tips
crx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
Temptazn_Mark
Master Member

Temptazn_Mark is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
lol cool.
Temptazn_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
chinoxmk22
ugh...

chinoxmk22 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
are you taking notes andrew? haha

Old 05-13-2009, 01:32 AM   #4
AZNmanAndy
diy guy

AZNmanAndy has been a little shit in the past
ahaha been there done that

yea there's a lot tips not suggested on rbc install

such as double bolting the headstuds, etc
Old 05-13-2009, 03:35 AM   #5
a2_dc5
Brevit : the soul of wit

a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE
a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE
what are the tips & trick you recommend?

and what do you mean by double bolting
Armenian crsx crew member #2

a2_dc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
crx7

Tips added to top post.

Last edited by crx7; 05-13-2009 at 12:48 PM..
crx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #7
svaillan
GT30R > Traction

svaillan is a rep WHORE
svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2_dc5 View Post
what are the tips & trick you recommend?

and what do you mean by double bolting
he's talking about back bolting a stud to get it out.....you put two bolts on a stud and then turn the bottom one to back the stud out.....works really well for the RBC install
Workout Crew, Wind surfing crew #1 Boost Slut krew#12...My Name is Steve

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I'm so stock my valves tickFull-Race stage 2gt RSX 449WHP 313TQ @ 14 psi on 91
semper fidelis tyranosaurus Rex
svaillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
crx7

Built this header today. Took a broken DC and welded on a Cat and a spring flange. Flux core wire welder so the welds are ugly, but I'll clean them up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0047.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	392.7 KB
ID:	325220   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0048.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	688.7 KB
ID:	325222  
Old 05-14-2009, 01:26 AM   #9
a2_dc5
Brevit : the soul of wit

a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE
a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE a2_dc5 is a rep WHORE

but anyways

damn it seems like a paint to install the RBC
Armenian crsx crew member #2

a2_dc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:39 AM   #10
svaillan
GT30R > Traction

svaillan is a rep WHORE
svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE svaillan is a rep WHORE
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2_dc5 View Post

but anyways

damn it seems like a paint to install the RBC
no it's not a paint just take a couple of hours

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #11
KwantumFizzics
Tennis Physicist.

KwantumFizzics gets around and is known
KwantumFizzics gets around and is known KwantumFizzics gets around and is known KwantumFizzics gets around and is known KwantumFizzics gets around and is known KwantumFizzics gets around and is known KwantumFizzics gets around and is known KwantumFizzics gets around and is known KwantumFizzics gets around and is known KwantumFizzics gets around and is known
lol paint? jk

I'm in the market for an RBC real soon.

Cognitive Dissonance with a little bit of gooey Moog Synths.
KwantumFizzics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #12
crx7

I take it you're kidding about the couple hours, if you've done it before, then yes a couple hours. Otherwise try at least six plus hours. I did this over the course of about three or four evenings with my g/f getting pissed at me neglecting her. This install takes a while to get every little thing right.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #13
2010 admin

Nice work. You should hang out in the Austin regional chat. We get together every so often for dinner and beer.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #14
svaillan
GT30R > Traction

svaillan is a rep WHORE
Quote:
Originally Posted by crx7 View Post
I take it you're kidding about the couple hours, if you've done it before, then yes a couple hours. Otherwise try at least six plus hours. I did this over the course of about three or four evenings with my g/f getting pissed at me neglecting her. This install takes a while to get every little thing right.
no I had never done it before, however my little brother and I are good under a hood and it really didn't take long at all to do.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #15
fatso666

fatso666 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fatso666 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fatso666 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fatso666 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fatso666 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fatso666 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fatso666 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fatso666 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx fatso666 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
even almost after 10 years this thread is valid!!!

BUUUUUMP
(2004 to 2006) 1993 Honda Civic SI Blue
(2006 to 2008) 1994 Acura Integra DC2 White
(2009 Forever) 2003 Acura RSX Type S NHBP
fatso666 is offline   Reply With Quote