K20a Type R motor worth it? - Page 3 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > ADVANCED PERFORMANCE > Engine Building & Design
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 05-04-2018, 12:38 AM   #51
LA007

LA007 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx LA007 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx LA007 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx LA007 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx LA007 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx LA007 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx LA007 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx LA007 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I've got a 2002 RSX type S. Last year after a blown head gasket i swapped to a JDM type R K20A. Got a great deal on it. $2800 for the complete engine w/o the tranny. Even got the ECU and wiring harness. For ease of the swap my mechanic used my k20A2 harness and ECU. I love the new motor. It does feel bulletproof, but i cant help but wonder.... Why would I or NOT swap out the ECU's? Will it even work? Will it be imobilized? I just feel like the new K20A might actually be losing some easily gained potential. This is my daily driver/commuter and reliabilty is most important. Can i send this K20A ECU to Hondata? If i do, can i tune it to gain a little power. My motor is basically stock other than a slightly modified exhaust and CAI. After reading this post I'm sure some of the brains in this thread have the answer. BTW I've solved every problem I've ever had with my RSX right here in CLUBRSX.COM thanks dudes.
LA007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #52
all<dc5
NA Today

all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA007 View Post
I've got a 2002 RSX type S. Last year after a blown head gasket i swapped to a JDM type R K20A. Got a great deal on it. $2800 for the complete engine w/o the tranny. Even got the ECU and wiring harness. For ease of the swap my mechanic used my k20A2 harness and ECU. I love the new motor. It does feel bulletproof, but i cant help but wonder.... Why would I or NOT swap out the ECU's? Will it even work? Will it be imobilized? I just feel like the new K20A might actually be losing some easily gained potential. This is my daily driver/commuter and reliabilty is most important. Can i send this K20A ECU to Hondata? If i do, can i tune it to gain a little power. My motor is basically stock other than a slightly modified exhaust and CAI. After reading this post I'm sure some of the brains in this thread have the answer. BTW I've solved every problem I've ever had with my RSX right here in CLUBRSX.COM thanks dudes.
$2800 for a motor with how many miles on it?
'03 Tacoma Prerunner V6
all<dc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:48 PM   #53
LA007

LA007 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx LA007 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx LA007 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx LA007 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx LA007 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx LA007 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx LA007 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx LA007 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
It was a complete motor with all components and the ECU, so i guess i could figure it out if i were to plug up the ECU that came with it. Any idea if my car would run if i simply plug in the JDM ECU into my 2002 DC5? The thing about JDM engines is that you usually never know how many miles, but its always low. I understand its usually between 50,000 and 60,000 miles.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:29 AM   #54
all<dc5
NA Today

all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Quote:
It was a complete motor with all components and the ECU, so i guess i could figure it out if i were to plug up the ECU that came with it. Any idea if my car would run if i simply plug in the JDM ECU into my 2002 DC5? The thing about JDM engines is that you usually never know how many miles, but its always low. I understand its usually between 50,000 and 60,000 miles.
If you have the right harness it should run. How do you figure most JDM engines usually have between 50-60k miles?
'03 Tacoma Prerunner V6
all<dc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:14 AM   #55
LA007

The harnesses were practically identical, but the JDM engine harness was slightly damaged, so my mechanic just used my original.
My mechanic has bought several cars and installed JDM engines then resold them. He told me, then through my own research found out he was correct about the highly regulated emissions standards in Japan. The cars must be re-inspected every 6 months to get a "tag." If they roll in for inspection with more than 50K US miles they must get a new engine, or sell the car to a foreign market. Lots op for a new engine as its cheaper.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:12 AM   #56
N0SNAIL

N0SNAIL is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx N0SNAIL is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx N0SNAIL is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx N0SNAIL is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx N0SNAIL is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx N0SNAIL is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx N0SNAIL is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx N0SNAIL is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I've heard the same thing about the mileage "caps" on Japanese engines over the years. This has been a topic on a lot of car forums, not just this one.
N0SNAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:35 PM   #57
Thewrai6th

Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0SNAIL View Post
I've heard the same thing about the mileage "caps" on Japanese engines over the years. This has been a topic on a lot of car forums, not just this one.
This is correct. They make it not worth your while to keep an older car on the road. That being said, there is no way to be sure of the mileage. You can only guess/hope.
Thewrai6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:46 PM   #58
LA007

3 different JDM engine importers told me the same thing. They will normally have at least 50K on them, but usually not much more.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:50 PM   #59
LA007

Quote:
Bump, figured i'd call the ECU experts HONDATA. i gave him the code from my JDM K20A ECU. He says that the immobilizer would prevent the car from starting, So if i want a better running car, get the ECU flashed or KPRO'd. Price isnt that bad either.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #60
Argonfree

Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I get what you guys are saying about putting a k20a2 longblock together being cheaper than $4699 complete k20a itr swap. I did the k20a2 swap twice already, once with ips k2, prc pistons, etc. Now that I bought a dc5-s, i want to upgrade parts to a k20a status.

However, I am going to buy the k20a w/ lsd tranny for these reasons :

I can sell my k20a2 complete swap. Buy $4,700 k20a complete swap. Sell 3-4 parts of it I don't need, gain some money back, I don't have to take my k20a2 apart and buy a bunch of prc parts and install them, then try to sell a bunch of prb parts. No machine shop labor fees. And my 145,000 mile k20a2 engine and tranny resets to 40-50,000 mile K20a engine and tranny that has better internals, better mechanical function, and the value of my car will be higher. All of the bolt ons I install will have better results with a K20a vs k20a2 once tuned. Really if we are talking a little extra coin for function and reliability advantage I am all in.

The math of converting a K20a2 to a K20a is expensive. The power gains are very noticeable with bolt one and tune. The engine can handle revs better as well.

My 2cents.
Argonfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #61
LA007

One more thing! I used the JDM A/C compressor when i did my swap just because I've had shit luck with several expensive branded replacement compressors in many different type vehicles over the years. But lately ive been testing the difference in acceleration with and without the A/C running. Holy shit! it accelerates much faster without the AC on. i couldnt believe the difference. But it's SOOOOOO fukin hot in Louisiana. I guess I'll just have to lose the horsepower.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #62
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
But lately ive been testing the difference in acceleration with and without the A/C running. Holy shit! it accelerates much faster without the AC on. i couldnt believe the difference. But it's SOOOOOO fukin hot in Louisiana. I guess I'll just have to lose the horsepower.
For sure man! Here is the dyno plot of the A/C power drain:
https://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=646778
it's like 10-12 ft-lbs, which can be like nearly 10% if you're stock!