Compression test! Help! - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > Problems & Solutions RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 07-09-2018, 01:26 AM   #1
Eddie06Z1

Eddie06Z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eddie06Z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eddie06Z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eddie06Z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eddie06Z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eddie06Z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eddie06Z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eddie06Z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Compression test! Help!

CEL turned on a week ago saying PO304....(Cylinder #4 misfire) Switched the Ignition Coil packs around and Still was ON (Going to need some new coils asap!) Do i decided to do a compression test and the results we're with WOT
Cylinder #1 : 200
Cylinder #2 : 175
Cylinder #3 : 175
Cylinder #4 : 125
Can someone help me out? Please & Thank you.
*K20Z1*
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180705_235314_1531117525032.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	955.8 KB
ID:	546375   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180708_101209_1531117699108.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	728.3 KB
ID:	546377  
Eddie06Z1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2018, 07:49 PM   #2
marko16

marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
You have low compression on #4 as you confirmed--good job. New rings or valves. Ad some oil to detect bad rings, if the compression comes up you know it's rings.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:21 PM   #3
Eddie06Z1

Eddie06Z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eddie06Z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eddie06Z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eddie06Z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eddie06Z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eddie06Z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eddie06Z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Eddie06Z1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
So i add a little dab of oil inside cylinder #4 then do the test again, if its higher than the previous number then it should be the piston rings ????

Old 07-10-2018, 07:31 PM   #4
Eddie06Z1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko16 View Post
You have low compression on #4 as you confirmed--good job. New rings or valves. Ad some oil to detect bad rings, if the compression comes up you know it's rings.
So i add a little dab of oil inside cylinder #4 then do the test again, if its higher than the previous number then it should be the piston rings ????
Old 07-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Right that's what he's saying. If it didn't go up it's valve seals then I think.

But why do you say you need new coil packs asap? You conducted the test properly to isolate that compression is your problem, not spark (right?)
Old 07-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #6
marko16

marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Low compression can mess up the spark. Resistance and compression and the path the spark may take through a crack is odd. So a spark may jump to the block instead of going through the plug.
For the valve, it's not the seals that effect the compression, but how the valve seals. Which begs the question of when or if the valves have ever been adjusted. A bent one not closing 100% or more likely one that has a small edge hole burned into it. Valves wear into the head, and get a groove and slowly there is no clearance at the cam. Sometimes worn rings let past a bit too much oil, which you might see out the pipe. It can also create extra carbon that will cause a small leak at the valve that can burn a V shaped hole in the face.

Add a table spoon of oil to do the wet test.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #7
Eddie06Z1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGumby View Post
Right that's what he's saying. If it didn't go up it's valve seals then I think.

But why do you say you need new coil packs asap? You conducted the test properly to isolate that compression is your problem, not spark (right?)
I'm going to replace to valve seals as well because oil was around the spark plugs & coils when i removed them. I need new coils because these look done...
Old 07-12-2018, 08:21 PM   #8
Eddie06Z1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko16 View Post
Low compression can mess up the spark. Resistance and compression and the path the spark may take through a crack is odd. So a spark may jump to the block instead of going through the plug.
For the valve, it's not the seals that effect the compression, but how the valve seals. Which begs the question of when or if the valves have ever been adjusted. A bent one not closing 100% or more likely one that has a small edge hole burned into it. Valves wear into the head, and get a groove and slowly there is no clearance at the cam. Sometimes worn rings let past a bit too much oil, which you might see out the pipe. It can also create extra carbon that will cause a small leak at the valve that can burn a V shaped hole in the face.

Add a table spoon of oil to do the wet test.
i appreciate your help very much!! Thank you.