New memeber: Steve from PA - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > New Member Introduction RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 07-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #1
Dohcv8

Dohcv8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dohcv8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dohcv8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dohcv8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dohcv8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dohcv8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dohcv8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dohcv8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
New memeber: Steve from PA

Just bought my RSX last week. It’s a 2006 type s in silver with 112k miles. I’ve had several Hondas including a few integras in the past and 3 years ago i switched sides and bought my first new car, a 2015 Ford Mustang GT but found myself missing the Honda i traded in for it. Don’t get me wrong, the mustang is hands down a better performance vehicle, it just isn’t as practical for daily use or for inclimate weather, not to mention I break the law any time i lay into the gas. After months of searching for another 8th gen si sedan, i settled on this bone stock rsx type s. So here i am!

Future plans:
-just noticed a very slight bit of vibration on the highway that isn’t very consistent. Not sure if it’s a wheel out of balance or a suspension component that’s worn out.
-upgrade the engine mounts
-Steering wheel is peeling, so I’m going to need a fix for that.
-Shift knob is f****d up, probably going to replace all the shifter and cable bushings and maybe do a short shifter so a weighted knob doesn’t feel out of place
-Kpro and FBOs
-Suspension and wheels

Nothing too crazy as it will be used as a daily. I have no idea where to look for parts or what to watch for on these cars so any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89E89625-97F2-47F9-853E-D3D083154AF8_1531320738700.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	746.7 KB
ID:	546411  
Dohcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #2
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
welp, there is a lot one could say, but first, welcome!

-Motor mounts you could just do ESMM inserts, or go elite with Vibratechnics, or a happy medium like HardRace street mounts (not race... I have those... I put the oem passenger mount back in)
-I've seen people wrap their steering wheels but man I would just find a new one for sale and save the hassle
-There's a lot of shifting components that are rubber, because... Acura. I'd upgrade the shifter cable bushings, and the shifter mounts/bushings. There's also transmission return spring upgrades from MTEC, and K-Tuned has some shifter upgrade kits as well
-So if you haven't discovered yet, Kpro is expensive for the 05-06, but you could make it an investment and resell it later. Or, you can look into KTuner
-The A-spec coilovers are a nice happy medium if you want oem, or you can try to find the superior Mugen ones but I'm pretty sure those only available used not new (but I could be wrong)
-17x8 seems to be the sweet spot if you want to upgrade but not go crazy. +40 offset, give or take 5mm. I got the Enkei PF01's myself, even though the RPF1's are lighter

While we're here, let me apologize for this forum. lol, not a good start, huh? Well, for years now people have criticized the noobs for asking age-old questions, but that's not what an online community is about -- everyone will have the same questions at some point, and all the threads are clouded with, well, people bashing people for asking the same questions! It's gotten better in recent years, but yes, please search if you can. Even try Google, like type site:clusbrsx.com then your search terms (all of this in the Google search bar) and you may find better hits than within the forum search alone.

And I say, if you find a good old thread, bump it with a question or comment. Who cares. People can hardly find the good threads any more so why not resurrect good content.

Peace
Old 07-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
remyrounds
Site Sponsor

remyrounds is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Looks like a good find. Welcome!

Old 07-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #4
Dohcv8

Dohcv8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dohcv8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dohcv8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dohcv8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dohcv8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dohcv8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dohcv8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dohcv8 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Thanks for the info irongumpy! I’m planning to keep the car simplistic as it’s a daily driver so i need it to be reliable. I already started research on the shifter springs as you suggested. I definitely think I’ll be doing that along with a short shifter and appropriate solid bushings. I just had a headlight go out so looks like I’m going to upgrade to LED. I’m not trying to spend an astronomical amount of retrofits nor blind oncoming traffic with typical HID kits so LED looks to be a happy medium. I also think an intake is going to be on top of the list of priorities to get that vtec pop i miss from my previous hondas. This should be a fun car to drive every day.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
Dohcv8

Thank you remmyrounds!
Old 07-14-2018, 11:42 PM   #6
Devons03DC5

Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Welcome to the forum bro, there is a lot of really great and helpful content on here but like others have mentioned there's always those who like to be assholes to the new guys. The search bar is your best friend. What part of PA are you from? Im in Allentown, it'd be cool to meet up with locals and do car shit
Devons03DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:06 AM   #7
Dohcv8

I’m from emmaus. Literally right next door lol.

Just to clarify for everyone before i get flamed to a crisp, i do know how to search, i just took the opportunity to post my plans and ask generalized questions since i was already making an intro post. Feel free to gloss over my questions. I’ve already got a list compiled and thanks to irongumpy, i got good leads to stuff to cut down my search time. I had no idea about the shifter springs with my si so I’m really glad he told me about them. Another thing i found here is that the injen seems to be one of the best cais for these cars. In the 8th gen si’s that was definitely not the case.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
It's cool man! Yeah they say the loudest VTEC pop is the AEM dual chamber, but it pulls the intake air from within the engine bay, so that is not ideal. Most people opt for the Injen CAI which is routed down behind your bumper and even requires a replacement washer fluid reservoir to allow the piping to get through. I upgraded from the Comptech Icebox to it and never looked back. Never tried the SRI route but I think the Injen MegaRam one is bigger than AEM dual chamber.

However, before buying the Injen CAI, I almost went with the CXRacing one that requires no special routing and might be a great happy medium! I might suggest getting your own filter though, like an AEM/Amsoil DryFlow one. https://www.cxracing.com/AI-K20-RSX-L (note this is the long tube one, not their short ram). Longer intake tubes increase your low rpm torque. It also might sound nice because it's right in front of your steering column!

Also, are you retrofitting your headlights with LED, or buying new? I didn't think there were any new whole LED units out there, so was just wondering
Old 07-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #9
Dohcv8

Irongumpy, I’m currently searching for some used intakes just to hold me over for awhile as i plan to go for the 8th gen si intake manifold, PRC if i recall correctly? And from there a 70mm tb coupled with the hybrid racing cai. I had that intake on my old si with toda header back exhaust, nst pulleys, tb spacer, and a tune and made about 230whp, that thing was a riot.

As far as headlights, i bought just the led bulbs that directly plug into the factory headlights. I got them from the retrofit source. As much as I’d like to do a retrofit, it’s just not in the cards at the moment as i have some other stuff i want to do first.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #10
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

Well did you see how cheap that CXRacing one costs brand new? $69! Although buying your own filter can be like $40-50 for a good one IIRC.

Anyways, can't argue with that plan! It's the RBC you speak of. The PRC is the Type R intake mani, which I have in my garage yet to install... :/. So if you do all those mods, will you have any low-end at all? I love me some torque in the mid-band... experience the whole i-VTEC surge!

Wow I didn't think plug-in LED's were bright enough for headlights but I guess things have changed!
Old 07-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #11
Dohcv8

Irongumpy, i did not know about the cxracing intake. I’ll have to look into that. As far as low to mid range, you may want to look into an rbc as last i knew that manifold optimized flow for midrange while still maintains decent low and top end. Back when i had my si i remember most ppl didn’t want to swap to the type r manifold as it was meant for the top end with the type r cams or equivalent. In the si with stock internals it was virtually useless and even lost some power down low. Granted that may be a different story with these cars. I’m not sure how much different the Fd2 is from the dc5r either.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #12
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
How are the LED's in the factory housing? I stayed clear myself after reading about how the light isn't focused but spread out all over the place.

Welcome to the forum!
mfarmakas17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #13
Dohcv8

I haven’t gotten the leds yet. I just ordered them a few days ago. I’ve had hids in factory housing before and while they made the road significantly easier to see, they light did just go everywhere. Having said that, hids are typically much brighter than halogen. Leds, based on what ive read, are not as bright as hid and don’t have all that cumbersome wiring. The only down side is they produce a bit more heat which is why i went with trs and spent a little more money. They tend to carry higher quality products they’ll stand behind. I’ll let you know more when they come in and i get a chance to try them out.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #14
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohcv8 View Post
Irongumpy, i did not know about the cxracing intake. I’ll have to look into that. As far as low to mid range, you may want to look into an rbc as last i knew that manifold optimized flow for midrange while still maintains decent low and top end. Back when i had my si i remember most ppl didn’t want to swap to the type r manifold as it was meant for the top end with the type r cams or equivalent. In the si with stock internals it was virtually useless and even lost some power down low. Granted that may be a different story with these cars. I’m not sure how much different the Fd2 is from the dc5r either.
The RBC from everything I've read on here has better/higher peak flow rate at higher rpms. Idk why but the K20Z1/A2 is different from the Z3 in that regard. The PRC Type R intake mani is better or as good at all lower rpms. It all really depends on the tune I suppose, and intake, and TB, and how much throttle you are applying. I got the gist that the RBC is better for all or nothing but the PRC is more well rounded for partial throttle? Maybe I am conjecturing or making bad conclusions, but I picked a PRC so I wouldn't need to get a custom tune.

and why you keep calling me Irongumpy. welcome to CRSX white text
Old 07-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #15
Dohcv8

I’ve read the rbc doesn’t need a tune either. However it would be ideal to extract maximum effiency and power of course. I’ll have to do more research. I could be mixing up the dc5r and fd2r. I thought they used the same intake manifold but there’s a chance they don’t. Everything I’ve read on the factory IMs, the rbc was the one to have if you wanted the best from oem. Again, I’ll have to reread, maybe things changed over the years.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:56 PM   #16
Dohcv8

PRC is indeed the dc5r whereas RRC is the fd2r. I wonder if there’s comparisons of the three on an otherwise factory k20z1.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:28 AM   #17
Dohcv8

Just a quick update for the one asking about the LED head lights. Got them put in. They do pretty much plug right in but i needed an adapter for the bulbs that cost $5 and about 10 minutes of minor dremeling to make them fit my specific LED bulbs. They are a lot brighter than i anticipated. We’ll see how long i can go with getting flashed constantly before i get annoyed and change them out.