switching from 600 to 1000 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > OTHER CARS > Motorcycles
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 06-20-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
PackerManDan35
Master Member

PackerManDan35 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
switching from 600 to 1000

Hey guys.

I've owned three 600's (two R6's and one GSX-R600). I am currently without a bike and have been looking for awhile at buying another bike. I found an extremely nice 2005 Yamaha R1 that I am considering buying. I have already talked the guy down to an agreed upon price.

The 2005 R1 has a full Two Brother Exhaust, Power Commander, K&N Filter and a sprocket change (I assume it's -1 +2).

Does anyone think a -1 +2 for a 1000 for street riding is a little overboard. I've heard of 600 riders doing that sprocket change for more power on the street but the 1000 already has more power. Does anyone know what the cruising rpms are at freeway speeds (75mph) for a 1000 with a -1 +2 sprocket change? I'm wondering if the rpms are going to be really high and annoying.

Also, with that sort of sprocket change is it even possible to go full throttle in 3rd gear without doing a wheelie? I like having useable power and to me, if I can't even full throttle the bike in 1st 2nd or 3rd gear then it's not really useable.

-- Motorcycle Crew #35 --
PackerManDan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
DJGypsy
Ewok Taxidermist

DJGypsy is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerManDan35 View Post
I like having useable power and to me, if I can't even full throttle the bike in 1st 2nd or 3rd gear then it's not really useable.
if you want to go WOT in those gears w/o doing a wheelie, why are you even considering an R1?

edit:
every 1000cc supersport/sport that i've ridden *easily* pulls up in the first couple of gears. kawi z1000/ninja1000 power wheelies in third gear subliminally. zx10, cbr1000, gsxr1000, speed triple-- those monsters, hah. they demand that their rider be just as fine tuned as they are. if not fine tuned, then respectably restrained against abusing the machine.

my bonneville will clutch wheelie, but if i just nail the throttle all i get is linear, controllable acceleration. i'm no doubt 3+ seconds behind those 1000cc supersport monsters in a 1/4 mile drag race, but i didn't shit my pants just trying to get down the track. the best kind of performance for the street is controllable performance. that whole "power is nothing without control" addage is soooo true.

curiously, you can *roll* on the throttle on a ZX-14 in the lower gears and the front may get light, but doesn't come up. key here is ROLL on the throttle, not crack it wide open. i LOVE the zx-14. it's a nuclear bomb that's just as easy to control as smearing butter on toast. i'd put my wife on a zx-14 before i put her on a 1000cc supersport just because of the ease of control.
motorcycle crew #27

Last edited by DJGypsy; 06-20-2011 at 10:46 AM..
DJGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
slama4
Master Member

slama4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx slama4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx slama4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx slama4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx slama4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx slama4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx slama4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx slama4 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
any updates? did you pick it up?
i got offered a killer deal on a cbr 954rr that i think i'm going to go with. i haven't test ridden it yet, but he's got it geared down -1, +3 so i imagine the first few gears it lifts quite effortlessly.
he has the stock sprockets though so i have the option of swapping them too

07 GSXR-600 Race bike
02 YZ125

K-Pro Tuners - The #1 Site for Real Calibrations by Real People
K20A2/K24A4 PARTOUT
slama4 is offline   Reply With Quote