Opinions on my main bearing clearances - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > ADVANCED PERFORMANCE > Engine Building & Design
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 09-01-2016, 09:24 PM   #1
dcreech0

dcreech0 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Opinions on my main bearing clearances

Hello all. I took a bit of time a couple nights ago to double check my clearances I was getting on my mains in my rebuild. I used the block and crank codes to get my colors and bought all brand new oem bearings. My plan for the motor is going to be a high compression N/A motor with high lift cams. Just wanting opinions on what I found. I know plastgauge is not the most accurate way, but gives a good idea.

Last edited by dcreech0; 09-01-2016 at 09:34 PM..
dcreech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2016, 08:10 PM   #2
dcreech0

dcreech0 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
No opinions after 30+ views? No one done this before?
dcreech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
Ransom
Ohh Yeaaah!

Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Ransom must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
Based on what your buidling, I'd suggest running as close to oem specs for clearence.

According to your pictures, it looks like your in the ballpark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	519898  
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #4
ShadowRider02

ShadowRider02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ShadowRider02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ShadowRider02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ShadowRider02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ShadowRider02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ShadowRider02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ShadowRider02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ShadowRider02 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Like Ransom said, Base it on the OEM specs. I rebuilt my engine a year ago with oem bearings all

around and never once did i took a micrometer to it. I just bought a lot of plastigauge and went

with those reading and all mines read within spec. Good rule of thumb is, do it once to check, twice

to make sure, and the last time to be completely confident with the measurements. My engine was

rebuilt by me over a year ago, 20000+ miles with high comp, aftermarket cams, street tune, and

fun runs here and there and no leaks or problem what so ever. Follow the manual specification and

you'll do fine.
ShadowRider02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:50 AM   #5
rushdylan

rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rushdylan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
ive ran .0015 on wrx engines, sti engines, and my k20.

the important thing is that you run the proper clearence for the horsepower you're looking to be at. for your build, you're right on target. sure your one journal seems to be half a thousandth large but im confident that you will be fine. BTW, both wrx and sti engines made over 400whp and never had a bearing failure. this was at 25psi idle oil pressure and 80psi by 4,500rpm. the k20 is unknown as its not in the car yet.
rushdylan is offline   Reply With Quote