Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

RSX Automatic Transmission Reliability ?

30K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Eezay 
#1 ·
So I'm planning to get an Acura RSX Base Model Automatic. For those of you with an Automatic Tranny, have you guys noticed any issues with the Tranny ?? Any feedback would be nice! thanks

#2 ·
It's typical Honda: Reliable but kinda' jerky. I find that I, using the manu-matic setting, can shift more smoothly than the computer.

It will allow you to start in 2nd. And it will, basically, just downshift when you're about to stall or come to a stop. The only thing is that the direction of the shifter is, to me, reversed. You push the shifter forward to upshift and pull it back to downshift. I reversed the wires to make that work in the opposite way.

If you buy; change the transmission fluid if it hasn't been done recently.

#4 ·
No problems for me. The jerkiness, to me, is just Honda programming. It takes speed, rpm, and pressures in the mechanism into account and chooses a gear based on that. It may fit your driving style perfectly. But I find it jerky. So I usually do the manual shift mode. But the complete auto mode is nice for stop and go traffic jams.

#6 ·
I believe that they had a defect with 3rd gear not getting enough lubrication. We had a '99 Accord, I believe. No issues. But I remember getting a notice from Honda that they had extended the drivetrain warranty. So far as I know; it was just a fluke.

Slowly drive the car in reverse with the steering turned all the way left, then right, and listen for clicking. If you hear it; you need new axles or CV joints. Check under the spare tire for rust or standing water. That's a known issue (the tail light lens gaskets can leak). Buy a tube of Shin-etsu grease on Amazon a lubricate all the door seals, sunroof seals, window weather strips, etc. Everything will run smoother and you'll save yourself from future headaches. If you hear the 'starter grind' (starter makes that metal-on-metal sound when the car catches and starts); know that you'll need a new one sooner than later. Base models don't have the shitty Bose split stereo system. So you can easily install a decent aftermarket stereo without a bunch of trouble. And most Base models don't seem to be as tired as S models. All the 'fast and furious' folks usually went for the Type S. Also... lubricate the mechanism that locks and releases the hood in the engine bay. It can become weak if there's too much friction. Good Luck. And welcome to the Base Crew.

#7 ·
Base RSX 2005, 160k miles, running no problems at all. The key is regular maintenance here. RSX A/T tranny does the job pretty well and is defintely not the dumbest tranny I've ever driven. Besides that, mine shifts absolutely smooth and effortlessly (is this a word)?(well, remember we're still talking about a 10-15 year old cars though).

And well, I don't know if I have to say this, but check the A/T fluid dipstick for color (should be bright/light red) and the smell (shouldn't smell burnt or anything). My association was that it smells a little like cherry when it's fresh and new, but I guess it's just me :). And yes, Hondas and Acuras, as well as Kias require that you check the tranny fluid on a shut off engine (I recall this from working at Valvoline).

Also, make sure you have a chance to drive it cold since it is on the cold motor and transmission when you will be able to feel the jerks and rough shifting. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.