to boost or bolt-ons - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Bolt-On Basics: RSX Type-S
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 07-18-2018, 05:11 PM   #1
MightyRSX93

MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
to boost or bolt-ons

Hey guys, currently my RSX Type-S just has an exhaust, CAI and reflash but I've been wanting more power for a fun DD. I was looking into the Greddy turbo kit, but they're now discontinued. Does anyone know if the Rev9power kit is good for $2400? I don't know much about boosting so go easy on me. I just want a plug and play kit for a little pep in my car.
MightyRSX93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
nats007
Always on TDY...

nats007 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyRSX93 View Post
Hey guys, currently my RSX Type-S just has an exhaust, CAI and reflash but I've been wanting more power for a fun DD. I was looking into the Greddy turbo kit, but they're now discontinued. Does anyone know if the Rev9power kit is good for $2400? I don't know much about boosting so go easy on me. I just want a plug and play kit for a little pep in my car<a href="http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/smile_color.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smilie" ></a>.
Before you boost, I'd highly recommend you get up to speed on it. I spent almost a year researching before I pulled the trigger. Based on your requirements and budget, that will determine which route you go.

My story... I had my RSX since 2006. I know I wanted to boost and still be reliable, direct bolt on without opening up the engine. Also, didn't want to drop a ton of money. I went the supercharger route in 2012.

I could have done turbo, but this was my preference and based on researching both, this was the better choice for me. Make great power, not worried about crazy maintenance, and have had no issues with my blower to date.
nats007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:46 PM   #3
MightyRSX93

MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
My goal is 280-330ishwhp, nothing wild but enough to have some fun. It's my only car so I want it as reliable as possible. For budget I'm willing to drop 4k for the turbo kit+ other things that may be required. I'm just worried of it breaking down plus I love the turbo whistle.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
MightyRSX93

Garage
Is the removal of A/C required for a supercharger?
Old 07-18-2018, 11:33 PM   #5
DC5Sandbag
Past Driverís Ed

DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Garage
Quote:
Is the removal of A/C required for a supercharger?
No. I have a aftercooled CTE supercharger and I'm still enjoying my A/C & PS.
DC5Sandbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:49 AM   #6
MightyRSX93

Garage
Okay cool, I'm in 108degree weather so I don't want to die lol. One of the Superchargers I saw said the A/C compressor needed to be removed.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:57 AM   #7
dopeyrsx

dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Look into CX Racing, they make a turbo kit for our cars. I think it's better than Rev9power but people will tell you to spend more money to get better quality.
dopeyrsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #8
MightyRSX93

Garage
Looking into the CT supercharger with the reflash, will it be good gains?
Old 07-19-2018, 12:33 PM   #9
dopeyrsx

dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
230whp with 5lb pulley.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #10
MightyRSX93

Garage
Would I need a new clutch for those kinds of numbers or will the stock clutch be enough?
Old 07-19-2018, 04:27 PM   #11
Thewrai6th

Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeyrsx View Post
230whp with 5lb pulley.
That's all? I would expect more out of that.

Quote:
Would I need a new clutch for those kinds of numbers or will the stock clutch be enough?
Stock clutch will hold 230 for a while, as long as you aren't doing burnouts every day.
Thewrai6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:27 PM   #12
DC5Sandbag
Past Driverís Ed

DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Garage
Quote:
If you go with a supercharger setup you can do it in stages based on how deep your pockets are. My engine build allowed me to gain a nice amount horsepower with minimum amount of modifications and still have the ability to reverse 99% of them if I ever wanted to go back to stock format. Depending on the horsepower goal I recommend investing in at least 750cc injectors (I initially tried 600cc injectors and they fell short in the top rpm range). Later on you can upgrade to 1000cc injectors, install a 2.95Ē supercharger pulley, larger fuel pump, modified fuel system to have a return loop. and you should be able to safely produce 330 to 385 whp based on if your using 93 octane or E85 fuel. I would purchase a CTE blower and then purchase a custom e-tune - your engine will perform better than if you use a reflash/can tune.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:37 PM   #13
DC5Sandbag
Past Driverís Ed

Garage
Also try to invest in Kpro-V4 ECU hardware.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:20 AM   #14
MightyRSX93

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5Sandbag View Post
If you go with a supercharger setup you can do it in stages based on how deep your pockets are. My engine build allowed me to gain a nice amount horsepower with minimum amount of modifications and still have the ability to reverse 99% of them if I ever wanted to go back to stock format. Depending on the horsepower goal I recommend investing in at least 750cc injectors (I initially tried 600cc injectors and they fell short in the top rpm range). Later on you can upgrade to 1000cc injectors, install a 2.95Ē supercharger pulley, larger fuel pump, modified fuel system to have a return loop. and you should be able to safely produce 330 to 385 whp based on if your using 93 octane or E85 fuel. I would purchase a CTE blower and then purchase a custom e-tune - your engine will perform better than if you use a reflash/can tune.
Kpro is expensive for my 05 lol. I guess I have to pay to play. Would a Fullrace turbo kit get me near 280whp? I just want a fun and reliable daily. I won't be upgrading in the future, so how the kit comes is the way I want it.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:34 AM   #15
dopeyrsx

You can make 280whp on a supercharger kit with a smaller pulley and its more reliable than turbo. Get KTuner for 05.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:54 PM   #16
MightyRSX93

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeyrsx View Post
You can make 280whp on a supercharger kit with a smaller pulley and its more reliable than turbo. Get KTuner for 05.
Thanks man! After some research I think I may go with the CTE supercharger kit. If I used a 3.15in pulley instead of the one the kit uses and 520cc injectors would that increase my HP passed the 230whp?

Last edited by MightyRSX93; 07-21-2018 at 03:47 AM..
Old 07-21-2018, 06:52 AM   #17
dopeyrsx

Quote:
Thanks man! After some research I think I may go with the CTE supercharger kit. If I used a 3.15in pulley instead of the one the kit uses and 520cc injectors would that increase my HP passed the 230whp?
Yes, should be close to 300whp - https://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=262546
Old 07-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #18
MightyRSX93

Garage
Okay cool thanks. I was reading that forum but wasn't sure if the tune CTE provided would only allow 230WHP even if changing certain parts.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:23 PM   #19
justin.eet

justin.eet is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx justin.eet is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx justin.eet is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx justin.eet is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx justin.eet is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx justin.eet is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx justin.eet is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx justin.eet is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
You can get these numbers with cams and bolt ons.
justin.eet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:57 PM   #20
DC5Sandbag
Past Driverís Ed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.eet View Post
You can get these numbers with cams and bolt ons.
Trying to attain more than 230-250hp becomes challenging with just simple bolt-ons. In my opinion supercharging is the easiest to install, and is a cost effective method to gain horsepower but still maintain reliability.

Last edited by DC5Sandbag; 03-21-2019 at 09:02 PM..
Old 07-16-2019, 11:47 AM   #21
Argonfree

Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
There are some important challenges and preparations are being overlooked or not mentioned, especially if the owner is green or noobish.

Before boosting involving a used platform or investing in expensive NA parts, especially over 75,000 miles :

1. Perform a compression test on the engine. Purchase and install magnetic oil pan drain plug and same with tranny.

2. Clean the engine and tranny as best possible. We want to conclude when, how, and where there maybe oil, coolant , etc.leaking. Compose a notebook over 8-16 months. Try to be fair and Document how the engine & transmission is driven, # of times hitting VTEC, # of times hitting redline. Document any oil consumption, how often oil is checked & added. Go back at least 2 oil & filter changes, so at least 6,000 miles. Though checking transmissions do not have dipsticks, document any grinds, pop-outs, weird noise etc. Document adding coolant. Finally, the spark plugs have to changed at least twice during this period. During this process, if you are consuming oil or losing oil place oil-soak pads under engine after driving.

3. Review your documents. If we are going to boost, we want 100% sealing. Install new gaskets throughout, your oil temps will be hotter than NA, normally used gaskets will not hold up under boost as a DD and/or extreme conditions of all racing.

4. IMO, all Honda builds simple to wild should have an oil pressure gauge and oil temp gauge installed. Since VTEC
And other important valvetrain parts requires correct oil pressure, oil levels, and the roller rockers are furthest away from oil pump, I would install a brand new oil pump. Nothing less than PRB. IMO, the 4piston $300 modified oil pump is golden for function. A used failing oil pump is "the elephant in the room" especially the damage they cause to rod bearing, main bearing, valvetrains, piston rings, cylinder walls, roller rockers, loss of power, etc.... insurance for a large investment.

5. Coolant temps will rise with boost, turbo set-ups really feel it. Purchase a thick full size aluminum radiator with quality fans. There are alot of little tricks that give small temp drops, add them all up for best results. Invest in heatsoak prevention on: fuel lines, fuel rail, carbon fiber hood with vents, thermal coating on schedule 40 pipe turbo manifolds, turbo covers, choose thermal coating 321 on schedule 40 downpipe or fabricate a chromoly downpipe.

I could go on. We get the point. NA is always best for reliability, and before installing or building a serious NA build follow step 2 above. We need to know how strong our used engine and transmissions are, it is a simple tool to optimize awareness of what we are revving to the moon and beating up on cars with twice our HP & TQ. I have more ideas if you guys and gals are interested in hearing about.

Last edited by Argonfree; 07-16-2019 at 11:49 AM..
Argonfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM   #22
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Wow, where did you learn all your stuff, man? Seriously. Might seem obvious/simple to you, but man that is helpful info! I always felt like I should have an oil pressure and temp gauges.

Why do you have to change the spark plugs twice during an evaluation process of only, what, 6000mi?
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM   #23
Argonfree

Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Thank you brother that was a very nice compliment. I started tuning and playing around with Honda's in 1996. I have owned some nice Honda builds. Supercharged K24A2 EP3, EG hatch IPS K2 K20A2 swap, EG coupe GSR swap, and I finally have a DC5-S. I am ready to learn SO MUCH MORE, openminded is me.

I befriended an owner of a Honda & Nissan specialist shop, he has been ASE certified for 30 some years and has road course raced for over 35 year. I am really good friends with his staff, Most of them have sick personal Honda builds. Needless to say, I ask them alot of questions, see 1st hand alot of their customer's cars, K20a.org, and other social media forums.

I do my best to look at things in a mechanical approach and reliabilty acceptance. I am a professional welder and fabricator. I work on Hondas and have spun my share of rod bearings took the engines apart and studied the damage done. A faulty oil pump will tear some stuff up, crankshafts will tell the story all to well as the journals get further away from cylinder #1 by heat discoloration shows, like a burnt tip muffler.

I am looking forward to making my build thread on this site to share the things I have learned along the way. So I say change the spark plugs twice in 6000 miles b/c typically changing oil at 3,000 miles, you will be able to be 100% you are not losing oil in or at the combustion chamber, pinpoint oil consumption. Some say overkill, I say cheap R&D.

Last edited by Argonfree; Yesterday at 05:09 PM..
Argonfree is offline   Reply With Quote