Need opinions, UNBIASED and honest opinions. - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Turbo RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 04-03-2004, 09:24 PM   #1
NxtLvlRSXtypeS
Must...stop...modding!!

NxtLvlRSXtypeS has been a little shit in the past
Need opinions, UNBIASED and honest opinions.

Not trying to start a war, not shooting or anything....just give me your opinions, because frankly, Im stuck!

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...28#post2527928
AEM CAI-Hondata 4-PR velocity stack-ES MM-Groundwires-Spoon drain plugs-Revo SS-CRSX bushings-Speedsource bushings-D2 coilovers-Ingalls RCK-ES swaybar bushings-Neuspeed X brace-Mugen FSB-Do Luck floorbar-Megan CPB-ITR trunkbar-Feels RSB-ITR swaybar-Skunk2 LRTB-Stoptech stg II-Sparco pedals-ITR dead pedal-S2K shiftknob-Autometer shiftlite-ITR coin holder-EP3 steering wheel-DIY shiftboot-ITR ebrake-Mugen cover-OEM spoiler-Grilletech grill-ITR sidemarkers
NxtLvlRSXtypeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2004, 09:38 PM   #2
i VieTEC
Master Member

i VieTEC is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
SC gives you instance power and torque curve is almost a straight line across the rpm range...perfect for a fast daily driver like you wanted
i VieTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 10:06 PM   #3
NxtLvlRSXtypeS
Must...stop...modding!!

But what about the NA setup I mentioned? Anything to say about that?
AEM CAI-Hondata 4-PR velocity stack-ES MM-Groundwires-Spoon drain plugs-Revo SS-CRSX bushings-Speedsource bushings-D2 coilovers-Ingalls RCK-ES swaybar bushings-Neuspeed X brace-Mugen FSB-Do Luck floorbar-Megan CPB-ITR trunkbar-Feels RSB-ITR swaybar-Skunk2 LRTB-Stoptech stg II-Sparco pedals-ITR dead pedal-S2K shiftknob-Autometer shiftlite-ITR coin holder-EP3 steering wheel-DIY shiftboot-ITR ebrake-Mugen cover-OEM spoiler-Grilletech grill-ITR sidemarkers

Old 04-03-2004, 10:40 PM   #4
jphesterly
Royale with cheese.

jphesterly is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
you should post this in the general or performance section
jphesterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 11:26 PM   #5
RSX-CT
Headlight Guy

RSX-CT is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I personnaly like both options but I think you'd have an easier time with JRSC app. Traction is only limited by your control of the throttle. Once you learn to hook up w/o spinning you can slam it down with the torque available on demand. With the NA option you might be able to hook up off the line easier but you still have to climb into your torque curve. And there is always more room to up boost with smaller pullies and cooling to extract more power with the JRSC. Once the cams are tuned for there is little to do to net more power without going to the bottom end etc. Either way you'll still want the LSD, clutch.... that you mention in other thread
RSX-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 11:23 AM   #6
tt061880
Master Member

tt061880 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I always like the ball wrenching power and the BOV sounds that turbos give. CN1 kit was my first orignal choice. After a couple weeks of reading the boost section, I've decided that the JRSC kit was right for me for a few reasons.

1. I do maintain my car pretty well but since I work/school full time I didn't think I would have enough time to maintain a turbo car.

2. The installation on the CN1 kit cost anywhere between 500 - 800 vs the JRSC kit that I installed myself. I basically used the installation money for other parts such as gauges and stuff.

hope this helps
TT
tt061880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:19 AM   #7
NxtLvlRSXtypeS
Must...stop...modding!!

Yeah, both options have their ups and downs. I basically want reliability and low maintenance (NA) but I want to go fast too (JRSC) If i can see some proven NA time slips or dynos that can come within range of the JRSC race kit, then I will probably go all motor....even though it seems like more work. Hopefully when more money comes in for me, it will be easier for me to decide too, because right now Im thinking that going NA would also be cheaper.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:43 AM   #8
SoLoSpEeD101
Audi / Acura

SoLoSpEeD101 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
your plans are very reasonable but i dunno about the FD, if you want good street manners FD is not a good idea i think...think about it, cruising down the highway at 70mph and your rpm is at like 5500 in vtec in sixth gear...lol (correct me if im wrong)

but my thought is JRSC street, own injectors (550), Kpro, nitrous like HardWire71 said...and the cerametallic will hold up pretty good at around 300-350 whp from what i hear...about the traction, this is my own plan, 5zigen torque dampener, (maybe) EMSS motor mounts, and traction control...but thats just me...

about reliability, either going high-strung n/a and supercharger will be about the same...supercharger will be easier to upgrade(aftercooler, smaller pulley...etc), and i think its more useful for daily driving...oh yeh, its easy on the gas too, bypass valve in the SC...

98 Audi A4
02 Acura RSX
SoLoSpEeD101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:56 AM   #9
TeK
Master Member

TeK is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt061880
I always like the ball wrenching power and the BOV sounds that turbos give. CN1 kit was my first orignal choice. After a couple weeks of reading the boost section, I've decided that the JRSC kit was right for me for a few reasons.

1. I do maintain my car pretty well but since I work/school full time I didn't think I would have enough time to maintain a turbo car.

2. The installation on the CN1 kit cost anywhere between 500 - 800 vs the JRSC kit that I installed myself. I basically used the installation money for other parts such as gauges and stuff.

hope this helps
TT

actually i know a guy that has a CN1 kit and drives it daily and also auto X it with his wife.... he has never had any problems with it EVER... just dont over boost and run a lil lean when you turbo it till you get it dyno tuned..
TeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:59 AM   #10
TeK
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLoSpEeD101
your plans are very reasonable but i dunno about the FD, if you want good street manners FD is not a good idea i think...think about it, cruising down the highway at 70mph and your rpm is at like 5500 in vtec in sixth gear...lol (correct me if im wrong)

but my thought is JRSC street, own injectors (550), Kpro, nitrous like HardWire71 said...and the cerametallic will hold up pretty good at around 300-350 whp from what i hear...about the traction, this is my own plan, 5zigen torque dampener, (maybe) EMSS motor mounts, and traction control...but thats just me...

about reliability, either going high-strung n/a and supercharger will be about the same...supercharger will be easier to upgrade(aftercooler, smaller pulley...etc), and i think its more useful for daily driving...oh yeh, its easy on the gas too, bypass valve in the SC...

yup your wrong about 70 mph at 5500 rpm. 70 mph is about 3100-3300 rpm. i know that for sure cuz i drive highway 80% of my time of driving. even with my old prelude it was in that rpm range for 70 mph
Old 04-07-2004, 11:09 AM   #11
lanman2000
razrs g

lanman2000 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:

hope this helps
TT
what gauges did you get tt??
Old 04-07-2004, 12:05 PM   #12
tt061880
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanman2000
what gauges did you get tt??

I haven't had time to get the gauges, I might get them sometimes this weekend. I'm thinking about vac/boost, a/f, and volt. You know where I can get a good deal on gauges?
TT
Old 04-07-2004, 12:06 PM   #13
lanman2000
razrs g

lanman2000 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
ebay
Old 04-07-2004, 12:22 PM   #14
tt061880
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeK
actually i know a guy that has a CN1 kit and drives it daily and also auto X it with his wife.... he has never had any problems with it EVER... just dont over boost and run a lil lean when you turbo it till you get it dyno tuned..

Well now Tek I am not the confrontational type but, I will make an exception onlky because I know for fact, a couple of things...

a. Aftermarket turbochargers i.e. your friends CN1 kit require far more maintenance than a supercharger. This is not opinion it is a fact call around to places like Jackson Racing, greddy and they will help with your education.

b. Also your autocrossing bit while quite entertaining is just not true you see any car enthusiast knows that supercharger's make power consistently whereas turbo's have to spool up to make power.

Other than that your statement seemed well thought out and concise, thank you...
Old 04-07-2004, 12:28 PM   #15
SoLoSpEeD101
Audi / Acura

SoLoSpEeD101 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
I haven't had time to get the gauges, I might get them sometimes this weekend. I'm thinking about vac/boost, a/f, and volt. You know where I can get a good deal on gauges?
TT
volt is retarded dont get it, useless, wat you need is boost, a/f, egt, oil temp/press. i think those are pretty much the needed ones...

98 Audi A4
02 Acura RSX
SoLoSpEeD101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:39 PM   #16
tt061880
Master Member

Oil pressure would be a good idea, altho it's illegal at the track im doing to but I don't think they'll be too strict about it.

PS: we aren't allow to run oil or gas line, I might be wrong tho
Old 04-07-2004, 01:07 PM   #17
teamxrsx
K series tuning liberator

teamxrsx is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
get a electric gauge, you only need to tap off of the oil pressure sensor to the aftermarket oil pressure sending unit, then a wire from the sending unit to the gauge. No need to run a oil line to the interior if the car. I have this set-up and nobody has said anything to me about it at the track.

Just wanted to say hi, and give a big thank you!
Dyno Tuner @ Velocity Trends in Jacksonville. If you need some tuning, hit me up!
A.K.A. iTune in the Mistubishi Evolution camp
teamxrsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:53 PM   #18
tt061880
Master Member

damn I didn't even think about that one, thanks teamrsx
Old 04-07-2004, 11:35 PM   #19
NxtLvlRSXtypeS
Must...stop...modding!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLoSpEeD101

Hopefully I can work this dilemma out soon. As far as ease of upgradability (like my new word?!) this is pretty much as far as Im going with my engine, and I probably wont upgrade anything after the JRSC or my NA plans. I figure that a college student like myself shouldnt really kill his wallet on his car so much, and I think I have done enough of that. So whatever I do, is what Im sticking with for a long time. I do realize that a SC would probably be better for everyday driving, and that once you start getting into extensive NA mods, like I have talked about getting, that drivability factor starts to go down. So I really dont know, Im stuck right now, both NA and SC have their ups and downs, and pros and cons. I guess when it all comes down to it, I will only be limited by how much money I have. Unless something really changes my mind. Lets see some 1/4 mi times from peeps with the JRSC race kit!
Old 04-08-2004, 12:07 AM   #20
TeK
Master Member

Quote:
Well now Tek I am not the confrontational type but, I will make an exception onlky because I know for fact, a couple of things...

a. Aftermarket turbochargers i.e. your friends CN1 kit require far more maintenance than a supercharger. This is not opinion it is a fact call around to places like Jackson Racing, greddy and they will help with your education.

b. Also your autocrossing bit while quite entertaining is just not true you see any car enthusiast knows that supercharger's make power consistently whereas turbo's have to spool up to make power.

Other than that your statement seemed well thought out and concise, thank you...
A. .......... you should think this one over... you call up any company and they will tell you CN1 will need more maintance for a reason.... becuase they want you to buy there stuff not CN..... and as far as how much im educated my friend doesnt over boost to hte point where his engine blows like some people.... and ever since he first got the turbo he hasnt had any trouble since....

B. since when did people NEED to supercharge to be in autocross..... its a choice..... and DUR...! superchargers are better for autocrossing... so you should think this one is over too

you live in south florida.. mind as well get the turbo charger from CN.. better off learning more about turbos and maintaining it yourself early then waiting till later

Last edited by TeK; 04-08-2004 at 12:12 AM..
Old 04-08-2004, 12:33 AM   #21
tt061880
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeK
A. .......... you should think this one over... you call up any company and they will tell you CN1 will need more maintance for a reason.... becuase they want you to buy there stuff not CN..... and as far as how much im educated my friend doesnt over boost to hte point where his engine blows like some people.... and ever since he first got the turbo he hasnt had any trouble since....

B. since when did people NEED to supercharge to be in autocross..... its a choice..... and DUR...! superchargers are better for autocrossing... so you should think this one is over too

you live in south florida.. mind as well get the turbo charger from CN.. better off learning more about turbos and maintaining it yourself early then waiting till later

okie Tek, didn't I make it clear that I don't want to have to deal maintenance issue? Or do I have to type the whole post over again? And just because I'm leaning toward supercharger doesn't mean I need to learn more about turbos. Maybe I know enough to acknowledge that it isn't for my driving style (YES I DON'T LIKE TO DEAL WITH MAINTENANCE).

About your friend who hasn't has any trouble ever since he put an aftermarket turbo on? I call that BS, or maybe they make a "PERFECT" aftermarket turbo kit out there right? Is there anyone up on this board running a trouble free turbo rsx? I really doubt it.

Regardless of any company you call, they will tell you that turbo applications will always take more maintenance than supercharger. Prove me wrong and call up a company that will say their turbo kit will take less maintenance than a supercharger kit.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:37 AM   #22
tt061880
Master Member

sorry NxtLvlRSXtypeS , I didn't wanna make your thread into a debating thread. This will be an endless discussion so i'll stop lol.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:41 AM   #23
NxtLvlRSXtypeS
Must...stop...modding!!

Quote:
sorry NxtLvlRSXtypeS , I didn't wanna make your thread into a debating thread. This will be an endless discussion so i'll stop lol.
Its okay, just make sure you put some useful and informative information in your debate! LOL, get on my subject though....
Old 04-08-2004, 01:22 AM   #24
XxThInKxX
Out on bail

XxThInKxX is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Some turbos do need attention. However, i believe if you get it profesionally installed and tuned, and do all the basic maintenance that is simple, one wouldn't have too many problems. I too work full time and do school full time. I am hoping that keeping my boost at 7psi and doing obvious maintenance will take care of most little problems. I am prepared for problems though, because I know turboing a car that is meant for N/A won't be problem free.
XxThInKxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:04 AM   #25
TeK
Master Member

Quote:
okie Tek, didn't I make it clear that I don't want to have to deal maintenance issue? Or do I have to type the whole post over again? And just because I'm leaning toward supercharger doesn't mean I need to learn more about turbos. Maybe I know enough to acknowledge that it isn't for my driving style (YES I DON'T LIKE TO DEAL WITH MAINTENANCE).

About your friend who hasn't has any trouble ever since he put an aftermarket turbo on? I call that BS, or maybe they make a "PERFECT" aftermarket turbo kit out there right? Is there anyone up on this board running a trouble free turbo rsx? I really doubt it.

Regardless of any company you call, they will tell you that turbo applications will always take more maintenance than supercharger. Prove me wrong and call up a company that will say their turbo kit will take less maintenance than a supercharger kit.
i never said a turbo dont need any maintance... i along said my friend never had any trouble.... and im not trying to convince you to get turbo... im trying to get your information straight... i mean common now.. NOT EVERYONE is gonna need maintance for there turbo RSX or any K series engine... some people may run into some problems and some wont... i only started out with an idea that you can think about... i never said you HAVE to get a turbo or anything... so after my first post im just trying to get information straight but your stilll taking it wrong