Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

DIY: Replacing knock sensor without removing intake manifold

118K views 53 replies 34 participants last post by  Dafirsdon 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, my Rsx had a code related to the knock sensor. After multiple searches on here and on other forums, I couldn't find a DIY thread with pictures. I also discovered that some individuals had trouble locating the sensor; in addition on how to actually replace the sensor. Now, the haynes manual requires you to remove the intake manifold. With a little time and patience, the method below worked on my type s. I thought this was easier than taking the manifold off, but its up to you.

The knock sensor is located up underneath the intake manifold bracket.

Note: The base model uses a 1 1/16 inch deep socket. The sensor for the Type S uses 15/16 inch.

Tools needed

1/2" wrench

1 1/16" deep socket

6" extension

jack and jack stands

sensor part # for type S: 30530-PRB-A01

1. First, disconnect the battery terminal. You can see the connector between the space on top of the intake manifold. I slipped my hand underneath where i could disconnect the plug. In the pic below, the actual sensor is already out.

2. Jack up the car and set up your stands. Now go underneath the car and the sensor should be near the starter. The plastic part on mine literally disintegrated when I pulled the plug.

3. With the deep socket & six inch extension, it should give you enough room to loosen it from up top(between core support space and intake manifold).

4. Unscrew the old one out and screw the new one in. Torque the sensor to specs.

5. Plug up the connector, reconnect your battery terminal and you're done. It took me about 45 minutes to do this including the trips to the parts store for extra tools.

Good luck

See less See more
#7 ·
i cant even do an oil change in 10 min. please tell me how you take the IM off in 10 min considering you need to remove the arms from below and deal with those pita studs

#4 ·
Originally posted by marshman328
it would probably be a lot easier to just take the IM off.... it takes like 10 minutes to take it off
I just got the car and thought this method was easier. I'm not used to taking a manifold off and etc just to get to sensors. Although using the common method would of been a good excuse to get that Hondata intake manifold gasket.

#11 ·
I just did this last week and wanted to say that while I was glad I didn't have to take off the IM to do this, it was an absolute pain in the ass to get to the knock sensor from underneath. I was finally able to get the right angle to take it off, but it was difficult with just one person.

The plug on my old knock sensor came right off when I unplugged it, so that probably made it a little more difficult to get my wrench to find it. Still, was able to get it all done without having to deal with the IM, so thanks!

#19 ·
Used this method yesterday to change out my knock sensor. Hardest part was getting the top bolt off the bracket. When I went to disconnect my old knock sensor, this happened.

Guess it was time for a new one. I wasn't getting a code or anything, either.

#20 ·
yeah, after trying this... i dont recommend this DIY to anyone... the time you will spend fidgeting and trying to get the wrench or socket around the sensor and then actually getting it off is way to much... i feel like i almost took longer doing it this way then i would have just taking off the manifold, which isnt that hard btw. just my 2 cents

#23 ·
I don't see why not...I mean I did the entire replacement by just jacking it up and removing the front bumper and going from underneath! Just like the OP stated. So I don't see if there is any difference unless the bottom of a JRSC is lower then stock or even an RBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#38 ·
Tried this just this past weekend. I don't think this works on the Base....the manifold dips down too far to get the socket in. I presume that the the S and the SI, you could do it as the manifold isn't as deep. A buddy of mine and I tried the DIY method for an hour and a half, gave up and pulled the manifold and was done in an hour 10, first time doing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.