RSX vs FR-S - Page 3 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > OTHER CARS > Auto Talk
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 06-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #51
Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust
Expert Troll

Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust is on a distinguished road Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust is on a distinguished road
Did you race any minivans afterwards?
Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #52
superchargedk20
K24 revhard

superchargedk20 is on a distinguished road superchargedk20 is on a distinguished road
Yea
superchargedk20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #53
Nimda

Nimda is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nimda is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nimda is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nimda is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nimda is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nimda is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nimda is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nimda is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Nimda is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I like how the FR-S has a padded arm rest on the door. Other than that these cars are pretty darn close besides on the obvious difference of RWD vs FWD.
Nimda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2014, 09:16 AM   #54
mineret301
typespilot

mineret301 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mineret301 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mineret301 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mineret301 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mineret301 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mineret301 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mineret301 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mineret301 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mineret301 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I have been toying with the idea of selling my 06 RSX Type-S this summer. The cars I would consider all have been RWD. Mustang GT, BRZ, and S2K. I have test driven a S2K, and now a BRZ. I will say the winner between the two is a S2K. Last night I was able to test drive a new 2014 Subaru BRZ from the subie dealership in Columbus, Ohio.

First of all, the salesman was a nice guy, and was honest. He flat out told me he does not know much about the car because he sells way more suv's and family wagons each month.
He apologized to me, but I told him it was alright, I did my own research. He was nice enough to let me drive the car with my wife unsupervised, plus he could not fit in the back seat with my wife riding shotgun.

The model I drove was the premium model with cloth seats. The cloth seats were supportive, the bolsters grabbed my sides well. The seats were designed for a smaller framed person, so I felt more support from these than my 06 type s seats. The cloth material felt cheap, I like my RSX's leather better. The back seat was a joke, but I do not care about back seats.

The telescoping and adjustable steering wheel is nice in the BRZ. The instrument gauges are cheap and not as refined as the RSX. I thought the tachometer/speedometer seemed very low grade. If you ever sit in one, you will see what I mean when coming from the RSX. I did not play with the radio that much, but the sound was a little below average compared to the audio systems new cars have. (Yes easily fixed)

The clutch pedal feel was good, buttery, and smooth. Reminded me of my wife's 05 RSX-S OEM clutch. The shifting action was smooth, with short precise throws. Very nice. My 06 has an Exedy stage 1 clutch kit with the lightweight flywheel, so pedal feel was a little too soft for my liking in the BRZ. (personal preference). The clutch lever is forward with the cup holders positioned by my right elbow. It did not feel awkward, it was very neutral to drive and shift gears.

The cabin is smaller, but duh, smaller car. I looked up at the roof liner twice. I noticed less head room, and no sunroof. I think I would miss a powered sunroof for sure. The visibility is good out of the windows and windshield. Better visibility than the newer Camaros if you ever sat in one. Road noise on the highway was bad. The michelin hp tires could be partly to blame, but I didn't mind. I have been driving my RSX with the rear body panels out for a couple months and that gets loud. I did not expect to be driving in a luxury car with excellent sound deadening materials. Trunk space is limited and coming from the RSX it seemed laughable. But again, smaller car.

Steering response was excellent. I can see why people love the car for its steering. No problems directing the car, and it handled highway speeds well. The car was very low and flickable. The 50/50 weight distribution made the car feel more confident with hard turns into a corner. I have the Mugen SS on my RSX, so road feel with bumps/uneven pavement felt the same. Someone coming from a standard vehicle might find it to be too stiff.

The biggest letdown for me was the engine! It does have a smooth linear powerband. Granted it makes about 200hp at the crank, I just felt underwhelmed by the engine. I can see why many people gripe about it. I have to say that the K20z engine in my RSX delivers a better surge of power and felt stronger even with 99k miles on it. I do have vibratechnics motor mounts which also changed the overall feel of the RSX for the better. The BRZ with boost is probably amazing. Factory installed superchargers should be an option with a warranty.

Overall the car is a good entry level sports car. I am in love with the way it looks from the outside. I am not in love with the interior or motor. I went to look at the 2015 blue series with the underbody spoiler and black painted STI wheels. IT LOOKS AMAZING. With a 30k sticker on it, I say not so fast.

I test drove a s2K last fall, and I have to say that car was better than the BRZ in a few ways (subjective). I just don't want to pay $$$ for an additional removable hardtop. But after leaving the dealership last night, I just might do that now.
mineret301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:39 PM   #55
immaculate

immaculate is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx immaculate is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx immaculate is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx immaculate is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx immaculate is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx immaculate is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx immaculate is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx immaculate is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineret301 View Post
I have been toying with the idea of selling my 06 RSX Type-S this summer. The cars I would consider all have been RWD. Mustang GT, BRZ, and S2K. I have test driven a S2K, and now a BRZ. I will say the winner between the two is a S2K. Last night I was able to test drive a new 2014 Subaru BRZ from the subie dealership in Columbus, Ohio.

First of all, the salesman was a nice guy, and was honest. He flat out told me he does not know much about the car because he sells way more suv's and family wagons each month.
He apologized to me, but I told him it was alright, I did my own research. He was nice enough to let me drive the car with my wife unsupervised, plus he could not fit in the back seat with my wife riding shotgun.

The model I drove was the premium model with cloth seats. The cloth seats were supportive, the bolsters grabbed my sides well. The seats were designed for a smaller framed person, so I felt more support from these than my 06 type s seats. The cloth material felt cheap, I like my RSX's leather better. The back seat was a joke, but I do not care about back seats.

The telescoping and adjustable steering wheel is nice in the BRZ. The instrument gauges are cheap and not as refined as the RSX. I thought the tachometer/speedometer seemed very low grade. If you ever sit in one, you will see what I mean when coming from the RSX. I did not play with the radio that much, but the sound was a little below average compared to the audio systems new cars have. (Yes easily fixed)

The clutch pedal feel was good, buttery, and smooth. Reminded me of my wife's 05 RSX-S OEM clutch. The shifting action was smooth, with short precise throws. Very nice. My 06 has an Exedy stage 1 clutch kit with the lightweight flywheel, so pedal feel was a little too soft for my liking in the BRZ. (personal preference). The clutch lever is forward with the cup holders positioned by my right elbow. It did not feel awkward, it was very neutral to drive and shift gears.

The cabin is smaller, but duh, smaller car. I looked up at the roof liner twice. I noticed less head room, and no sunroof. I think I would miss a powered sunroof for sure. The visibility is good out of the windows and windshield. Better visibility than the newer Camaros if you ever sat in one. Road noise on the highway was bad. The michelin hp tires could be partly to blame, but I didn't mind. I have been driving my RSX with the rear body panels out for a couple months and that gets loud. I did not expect to be driving in a luxury car with excellent sound deadening materials. Trunk space is limited and coming from the RSX it seemed laughable. But again, smaller car.

Steering response was excellent. I can see why people love the car for its steering. No problems directing the car, and it handled highway speeds well. The car was very low and flickable. The 50/50 weight distribution made the car feel more confident with hard turns into a corner. I have the Mugen SS on my RSX, so road feel with bumps/uneven pavement felt the same. Someone coming from a standard vehicle might find it to be too stiff.

The biggest letdown for me was the engine! It does have a smooth linear powerband. Granted it makes about 200hp at the crank, I just felt underwhelmed by the engine. I can see why many people gripe about it. I have to say that the K20z engine in my RSX delivers a better surge of power and felt stronger even with 99k miles on it. I do have vibratechnics motor mounts which also changed the overall feel of the RSX for the better. The BRZ with boost is probably amazing. Factory installed superchargers should be an option with a warranty.

Overall the car is a good entry level sports car. I am in love with the way it looks from the outside. I am not in love with the interior or motor. I went to look at the 2015 blue series with the underbody spoiler and black painted STI wheels. IT LOOKS AMAZING. With a 30k sticker on it, I say not so fast.

I test drove a s2K last fall, and I have to say that car was better than the BRZ in a few ways (subjective). I just don't want to pay $$$ for an additional removable hardtop. But after leaving the dealership last night, I just might do that now.
I'm closing in on 1 year of BRZ ownership, so let me add my 2 cents. I have to disagree with a couple of your observations.

The interior to me is a mixed bag. To me the alcantara seats in the BRZ limited are way more comfortable than the RSX seats. Granted, I had an '03 Type S so it's not an exact comparison if you're coming from an 05-06 with the better seats. The center console on the limited is also a little nicer than on the premium, but I still liked the layout better in my RSX. The audio isn't great, but improves a lot with 5 minutes adjusting the EQ settings. The added technology in the BRZ, Bluetooth, Nav, etc.. kind of balance things out though IMO.

I preferred the transmission in the RSX. The gearbox in the BRZ is a little notchier, even with a weighted knob. The clutch pedal engages at a very high point, which I prefer to the RSX now...just took some adjusting.

I agree on the engine being a letdown. There's a little more low end torque than with the K20, but the FA20 has an infamous "torque dip" between 3-4k RPM's that's very noticeable. So to me, the RSX was a little more fun to wring out.

Overall I love the BRZ a little more than my RSX. Obviously, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me, with a few simple mods the BRZ is the best looking new car you can buy for under 30k.
immaculate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:45 AM   #56
jintianguan
Tim Army

jintianguan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jintianguan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jintianguan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jintianguan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jintianguan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jintianguan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jintianguan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jintianguan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
nice write up buddy
jintianguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:43 AM   #57
Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust
Expert Troll

Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust is on a distinguished road Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by immaculate View Post
I'm closing in on 1 year of BRZ ownership, so let me add my 2 cents. I have to disagree with a couple of your observations.

The interior to me is a mixed bag. To me the alcantara seats in the BRZ limited are way more comfortable than the RSX seats. Granted, I had an '03 Type S so it's not an exact comparison if you're coming from an 05-06 with the better seats. The center console on the limited is also a little nicer than on the premium, but I still liked the layout better in my RSX. The audio isn't great, but improves a lot with 5 minutes adjusting the EQ settings. The added technology in the BRZ, Bluetooth, Nav, etc.. kind of balance things out though IMO.

I preferred the transmission in the RSX. The gearbox in the BRZ is a little notchier, even with a weighted knob. The clutch pedal engages at a very high point, which I prefer to the RSX now...just took some adjusting.

I agree on the engine being a letdown. There's a little more low end torque than with the K20, but the FA20 has an infamous "torque dip" between 3-4k RPM's that's very noticeable. So to me, the RSX was a little more fun to wring out.

Overall I love the BRZ a little more than my RSX. Obviously, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me, with a few simple mods the BRZ is the best looking new car you can buy for under 30k.
That's pretty much how I felt after a couple hours in a brz. The 05-06 seats weren't all that comfortable either.
Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:54 PM   #58
larryboy
Long Live RSX

larryboy is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by immaculate View Post

I really thought the new BRZ/FRS would clearly surpass the older RSX in all areas but based on posts the RSX can compete. It would have been nice if Acura made a new RSX to further challenge the current segment.
RSX/K20A3/I4/5MT, bought/own since 2002, NBP, K&N SRI, Eibach ProKit Springs, SPC F/R Camber, PowerStop Drill/Slot rotors, Alpine MRV450 5Ch amp, Pioneer AVH-1330NEX, iPod aux, Infinity 6000cs, JBL GTO 6.5 3way, Alpine TypeS 12"Sub/QLH Box, 17x7.5 Enkei ZR-1 rims, Michelin PilotSport A/S3 225/45/ZR17, Acura SwitchbladeKey, FormulaONE Tint, BoomerangArmrest, ViperAlarm, WheelLocks, GutterguardGrill, SplashGuard, FenderwellTrim, Duralast MT-51R battery, Moog Ball Joints, Royal Purple 5W-20, 120K mi Apr'18, Nihonsei
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:03 PM   #59
RecarosCostTooMuch
.♥

RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe
RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe
Are you sure the FRS/BRZ/86 trans is worse?

In terms of feeling, it might feel more notchy and the RSX has been out for longer,

BUT

there is a reason why RSX transmissions are nicknamed "glass transmissions." The 6speed is infamous for bad synchros and seems to tank for no reason even under moderate use.
|Broke Student Crew|
|Bitch Crew|
RecarosCostTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:24 PM   #60
superchargedk20
K24 revhard

superchargedk20 is on a distinguished road superchargedk20 is on a distinguished road
Says who? People think the trans is trash caus all u hear about our stories of the broken ones. I'm hitting the 140k on my 2002. My glass trans shifts butter smooth and is still on stock clutch. Is there a recall on the type s trans ? Frs/ brz are garbo. A type s will pull on those turds all day

Last edited by superchargedk20; 08-26-2015 at 12:32 PM..
Old 08-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #61
RecarosCostTooMuch
.♥

RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe
RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe RecarosCostTooMuch No words can describe
I'm sure that has nothing to do with your irrational hate for the 86.
|Broke Student Crew|
|Bitch Crew|
Old 08-26-2015, 12:42 PM   #62
superchargedk20
K24 revhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecarosCostTooMuch View Post
I'm sure that has nothing to do with your irrational hate for the 86.
Lmao. I do hate em. But I point out fact. A type s will pull on a brz frs all day. That's fact .
Old 08-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #63
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
That's cool, if racing to you is going from a roll on public roads. Personally I enjoy the track. Not sure if it will still pull there, or more importantly be anywhere near as fun.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #64
superchargedk20
K24 revhard

I own both a type s and a s2000 if I want track. Better switch out those prius tires before u hit the track with it. Please tell me the newer models addressed that ?

Last edited by superchargedk20; 08-26-2015 at 02:59 PM..
Old 08-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #65
RecarosCostTooMuch
.♥

|Broke Student Crew|
|Bitch Crew|
Old 08-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #66
RecarosCostTooMuch
.♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedk20 View Post
I own both a type s and a s2000 if I want track. Better switch out those prius tires before u hit the track with it. Please tell me the newer models addressed that ?
It's tires dude. Few cars come with track ready tires.
|Broke Student Crew|
|Bitch Crew|
Old 08-26-2015, 04:40 PM   #67
superchargedk20
K24 revhard

U gotta be joking ? Tires are one of the most important things on a vehicle especially a vehicle made for track use. Let's put prius tires on a vette or a gtr. Since there "just tires"
Old 08-26-2015, 04:49 PM   #68
RecarosCostTooMuch
.♥

I didn't say tires are not important.

The reality is, if you're going to track a car, you should buy good tires made for racing and not use stock tires unless you bought some special edition track car.

So what I'm saying is, it doesn't matter what tires the FRS or S2K or RSX comes with from factory. If you go to track these cars, you should get better tires.
|Broke Student Crew|
|Bitch Crew|
Old 08-26-2015, 04:52 PM   #69
RecarosCostTooMuch
.♥

And why would they address the Prius tires? They're fine. As far as I know, they are on there for better MPGs and just because they're also on a Prius, doesn't mean they are bad.
|Broke Student Crew|
|Bitch Crew|
Old 08-26-2015, 05:54 PM   #70
superchargedk20
K24 revhard

If a car is being promoted as a track car it should come with decent tires .
Old 08-26-2015, 06:50 PM   #71
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Tires are wear and tear items that will be replaced eventually. You can always swap them out, plus maybe they figured more serious track people would get larger wheels anyway for much wider rubber.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #72
superchargedk20
K24 revhard

I just don't think it's fair to the consumer. It's already an overpriced underpowered machine. The least they can do is give u something more respectable than what they throw on a freakin prius
Old 08-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #73
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

I get that, but it's not that much of a weakness, since the car is well balanced enough to not be an understeering pig. It's not as if putting track tires on a Prius will yield the opposite and turn it into a track beast.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #74
superchargedk20
K24 revhard

Right. But getting rid of the tires will make a big difference on a brz. Ur paying 30k already. The taxes then insurance . U should be able to enjoy ur car the way it's meant to be. But then u still have to pay for some decent tires? I just don't think the brz owners are getting a fair deal with that car
Old 08-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #75
Kevink121
#Inkpot

Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member
Brz limited (the nice one) owner here. Coming from a bolt on type s that made 220.

God is the brz slow in comparison. Stock for stock they're same weight to power ratio it really dosent feel that wa though. The K engine responds to bolt ons much better. I have a race header and back exhaust and I still get smashed on by a buddies rsx and another friends 9th gen SI, both full bolt ons as well.

Drive by wire is a shitting joke in the brz. Blind spot on the back rear is terrible. The cup holder scenario is also a joking matter.

But the brz is rwd. So.... win. I was looking at s2ks but I didn't fit comfortably enough in it to drive it often. And the brz has a bit more room for stuff (not people really).

The seats are muuuuch nicer in the brz, climate control is great, nav is shitty at routing for you but it's nice to have a display of what roads are approaching.

Idk. I plan on boosting it next season so my "too slow" woes aren't a big worry. I'm glad I bought it instead of another rsx but I will say there are aspects I deeply miss about my rsx.

I should add that I've tracked it twice now and it feels great on the road course. Haven't gotten my fortune autos in it yet but I'm slobbering thinking about how well it'll turn after they're in. The only real shining opinion the brz left me with on the first test drive was how stable and sturdy it was when I threw it a sharp corner. You can tell the difference with the lower center of gravity.

Tldr: Half assed phone review.

Last edited by Kevink121; 08-26-2015 at 07:30 PM..
Kevink121 is online now   Reply With Quote