My coil pack won't fit - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > ADVANCED PERFORMANCE > Engine Building & Design
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 07-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Unix4linux

Unix4linux is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Unix4linux is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Unix4linux is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Unix4linux is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Unix4linux is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Unix4linux is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Unix4linux is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Unix4linux is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
My coil pack won't fit

Ran into something that could be a small problem or a big problem. My coil pack on one of my cylinder channels does not fit. This is because when I first purchased this head, the cylinder channel that guides the spark plug and coil pack was damaged. So, I took it to a machine shop and had them press a new one in. Unfortunately, Honda/Acura does not sell them separately. You'd have to purchase a new cylinder head. So, they made one for me and pressed it in. Well, long story short, I forgot to test fit a coil pack before assembling the head and now it won't fit.

I am looking for some suggestions here from anyone. The part that does not want to slide in on the coil pack is the base of the coil shaft. It's about 1/2mm too large in diameter. I reallllllyyyy don't want to take this head apart and take it back to the machine shop to resize it or me use my dremel and resize it because the head is completely assembled and grinding that channel guide down would involve probably hot tanking the head. Either way, it would have to be completely disassembled and throughly washed.

I am hoping someone has a different idea/suggestion. Maybe they sell aftermarket coil packs that could have a thinner shaft? I have to purchase new coil packs anyway.

Here are some pics:

As you can see from the pictures, that's as far in as it'll go. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Unix4linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Unix4linux

Unix4linux is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Unix4linux is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Unix4linux is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Unix4linux is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Unix4linux is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Unix4linux is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Unix4linux is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Unix4linux is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Anyone have these: http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/OKP-PD4002701R.html

If you do, would you be so kind to measure the base of one of them at the widest point and compare it to stock. I am interested in knowing if they are just a bit thinner.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
mallen600
Pancakes

mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Tap it in with a rubber mallet
I've never had my shaft be too large
TN CREW #6[/B]ABP Crew Member #79[/B]
Zombie Eradication Team #68
BB Crew
***PIC OF BUFFALO HERE***
mallen600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Turpid Porpoise
Shazaam

Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallen600 View Post
Small phallus jokes.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Turpid Porpoise
Shazaam

Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start
But to the OP, I think you might be screwed. I can't believe the machine shop didn't check the inner diameter to make sure it would fit the coil pack.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Unix4linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpid Porpoise View Post
But to the OP, I think you might be screwed. I can't believe the machine shop didn't check the inner diameter to make sure it would fit the coil pack.
I can't believe they didn't measure it either especially to compare it against the stock ones that were already on the cylinder head.

Sigh...I wonder what the outer diameter of those aftermarket coil packs are. Anyhow here are my measurements:

New Tube

OEM Tube

Coil Pack

Old 07-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
Unix4linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallen600 View Post
I know you are just throwing suggestions and I appreciate it. If I do that, I don't want to risk cracking the plastic around that shaft of the coil pack. Even if it doesn't crack, I could risk damaging the coil at the top by tapping it. Or even worse, trying to take it back out whenever I have to do maintenance...yikes!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
Turpid Porpoise
Shazaam

I would go to the machine shop and tell them to fix it. You paid them to put a channel in that fits not one that doesn't.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
Unix4linux

Quote:
I would go to the machine shop and tell them to fix it. You paid them to put a channel in that fits not one that doesn't.
I may have to. But I would have to disassemble the head and purchase new copper o-rings and head gasket. Either I do that or run on three coils, right?...lol

Old 07-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
2010 admin

Quote:
This ^^^^.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #11
Steaksauce

Steaksauce is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Steaksauce is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Steaksauce is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Steaksauce is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Steaksauce is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Steaksauce is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Steaksauce is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Steaksauce is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
good luck
Steaksauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:14 AM   #12
Unix4linux

I'll be taking the head apart today to take it to the machine shop tomorrow...sigh

Old 07-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
Unix4linux

So the head is off and ready to be taken back to the machine shop tomorrow. I'll be taking them a coil pack to ensure they get it right

I'll have to order some more copper o-rings from GE to replace these. Also, when I first set the motor up, I checked my P2V clearance with a borescope and it looked pretty good with VTC set to 50 degrees and VTEC locked. Since I was going to take the head off, I decided to clay it as well an ensure that what I saw through the borescope was accurate. I was pretty confident but hey, why not double check using a different method, right?

Well, my clay went untouched. This was with a valve lash setting to .009" on the intake side and .010" on the exhaust. Just a reminder: The cams are Skunk2 Stage 2 and the pistons are CP Pistons 9.0:1. The valves are also +1mm on both sides. They are Brian Crowers. So, all looks good

Before:

After:

Yea, it looks the same . Now on to some machining of this channel guide for the coil pack.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

Type-Spaz has disabled reputation
glad you are taking it back to the shop. I love how you tested the clearance with clay
Old 07-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
Unix4linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-Spaz View Post
glad you are taking it back to the shop. I love how you tested the clearance with clay
Thanks!

Old 07-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #16
Unix4linux

You know, I was selling this engine up until a week or two ago. I backed out simply because the offers were soooo low considering I was practically giving it away. Anyway, I was just thinking of how embarrassing this would have been had I sold the engine with this channel guide size issue.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:06 PM   #17
CazTypeS

CazTypeS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CazTypeS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CazTypeS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CazTypeS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CazTypeS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CazTypeS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CazTypeS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CazTypeS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I’m having an issue getting my ignition coils on Cylinder one to fit, all the other ign coils went in just fine to # 2 #3 and #4
And it doesn’t matter which coil I use none of them fit into number one, it feels like I’m hitting something when I try and put it in but idk what I could be hitting? All the other coils work just fine when it comes to going in and they all look the same when I look down the holes.
Here’s a picture of what I mean, I’m using the same coil in each picture just moving from 1 to 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8E40269-3E8A-4DC8-B341-203F13A1AD36_1530129992154.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	654.5 KB
ID:	546289   Click image for larger version

Name:	706AA157-5838-4948-AF93-86640A0DAD61_1530130007634.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	671.3 KB
ID:	546291  
CazTypeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:52 PM   #18
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Did you already stick a flashlight in there? First guess off the top of my head is you cross threaded the spark plug
mfarmakas17 is offline   Reply With Quote