CAI water protection - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Bolt-On Basics: RSX Type-S
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 09-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #1
MightyRSX93

MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
CAI water protection

Will the front fender liner that goes under the bumper protect my CAI from getting water
inside from driving in the rain? I cut it off to allow room for the intake but not sure if I should replace it.
MightyRSX93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
There’ll be a tiny bit, but nothing to be concerned about unless you drive through a puddle. Get a water resistant filter wrap if you’re that worried about it.
mfarmakas17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
DC5Sandbag
Past Driverís Ed

DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyRSX93 View Post
Will the front fender liner that goes under the bumper protect my CAI from getting water
inside from driving in the rain? I cut it off to allow room for the intake but not sure if I should replace it.
I live in the Chicago area. We get our share of rainy weather and Iíve never had any water issues while driving on the expressway or side roads. My CAI set up has a hydro shield which helps protect the filter element from bugs, and water. I would definitely run with a fully intact wheel liner. The wheel liner acts as a shield against the elements as well. You will still get excellent air flow to the intake. In my opinion most individuals that have issues with water are those who drive to fast through deep water puddles.
DC5Sandbag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
MightyRSX93

MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MightyRSX93 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
I have the hydroshield wrap on an I noticed the filter was wet to the touch so I was wondering if it's nothing to be concerned about. We're expecting rain all this week so I can kind of panic when I drive lol
MightyRSX93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:01 PM   #5
DC5Sandbag
Past Driverís Ed

DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Garage
Having a complete inner fender well would transform that area into a air box. The air filter is fairly protected by the skin of the front bumper. If you have to trim the inner fender well to fit around the CAI, cut it to fit tube as close as possible.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:28 AM   #6
TheRickster

TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
What about clearance issues with injen CAIs? Just curious cause you're supposed to cut a small square out.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #7
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Shouldn't be any clearance issues as they were designed specifically for our cars. The part that is cut is more like a half circle shape, just allows the pipe to be routed without pushing on your fender liner.
mfarmakas17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:26 PM   #8
TheRickster

TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx TheRickster is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarmakas17 View Post
Shouldn't be any clearance issues as they were designed specifically for our cars. The part that is cut is more like a half circle shape, just allows the pipe to be routed without pushing on your fender liner.
It has to go at an angle, I believe in the instructions it's like a rectangle but yeah, it's just a small hole. I still worry about it being there in mine though. I just avoid heavy rain with it and use a hydroshield.

Hardly any of the JDM tuned dc5 use a cai either, so there are some work arounds unless you're going for a big hp numbers car.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #9
DC5Sandbag
Past Driverís Ed

Garage
It doesn't matter if you're engine is naturally aspirated or has forced induction, CAI helps to ensure that the engine generates power more consistently. Little details like this add up and allows you to compete with the big boys.