2002 Acura RSX front end suspension noise - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > Problems & Solutions RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 09-07-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
Lookingoutbelow

Lookingoutbelow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Lookingoutbelow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Lookingoutbelow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Lookingoutbelow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Lookingoutbelow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Lookingoutbelow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Lookingoutbelow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Lookingoutbelow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
2002 Acura RSX front end suspension noise

Hey whatís up everyone, so Iíve been getting this annoying clunk in my front right side ever since I did my engine swap. I replace the cv axles, lower ball joints, struts, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links, and lower control arms, because they were all worn. Everything is installed correctly, but I still get a clunking sound from my front right. I did remove the subframe to do the engine swap, but I made sure it was tightened correctly, Iím literally at a loss. I also replaced the motor mounts that were bad which was two of them, the others were perfectly fine. Any suggestions?
Lookingoutbelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
marko16

marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Aftermarket or stock suspension? Also check the top inside the engine bay for anything loose. The front Lca bushing can also be worn out.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
Lookingoutbelow

Lookingoutbelow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Lookingoutbelow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Lookingoutbelow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Lookingoutbelow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Lookingoutbelow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Lookingoutbelow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Lookingoutbelow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Lookingoutbelow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Aftermarket parts, inner tie rod beck and arnely, outer tie rod moog, lower control arms moog, lower ball joint beck and arnely, struts Monroe, I used pretty good aftermarket parts. But I’ll check in the engine bay to rule that out but I definitely feel it in the front right suspension, would an unaligned subframe cause clunking? Just curious if that would be a problem, because I’m lost lmao

Old 09-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #4
marko16

marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx marko16 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Your parts sound fine, so keep on checking. Again that front bushing on the control will clunk as the rubber separates.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:20 AM   #5
Lookingoutbelow

Will do! I have to change my belt tensioner Monday so I’ll give a good look in the engine bay while I’m doing that! And what do you mean by separtes? Do you mean the new lower control arms bushing breaking in? Just wonder!
Old 09-08-2018, 09:07 PM   #6
marko16

Oh sorry, just reread your first post and those are new. Another poster was getting a noise from his crankshaft balancer. So when you have the belt off take a look at the crankshaft pulley as well. I'm getting a squeak out of the back--just lubed everything and a clunk up front as well, so I know all too well how it sucks to chase sounds. Usually I find a loose nut or one of the struts loosened up, so I hate when it's still out there.
Ok, and to admit I'm an idiot, I had a bunch of noise in my left rear only to find my lug nuts loose last week--check those as well. I get so paranoid and check 5 times and then somehow miss a wheel.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:21 AM   #7
Lookingoutbelow

No your not an idiot man lol believe me I’m the same way better off checking everything! Lol because noises like this can turn out to be the dumbest thing! I changed my crankshaft pulley a couple of months ago when I did the engine swap, that’s how I noticed my belt tensioner is bad because it makes a whining slapping noise when I’m stopped in drive annoying as all hell, changing that Monday! Any how Monday I’m going to check the suspension again, I might loosen the subframe and bolt it back up, just to rule that out because I’ve heard the subframe will clunk if not secured properly. I’ll let you know if I find anything out of the blue, goodluck with your car endeavors as well, hope you find a solution!
Old 09-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #8
marko16

I drove a Saturn to 414,000 miles. For a year the belt tensioner was weak. It would cause a screech if you stopped normal, but if you yanked it out of gear it was quiet. I thought it was the throwout as it was so gear related and it chattered and squealed. Popping it out of gear at 10mph made it quiet. I took off the belt and noticed how easy it was to get it off and that was the tip off. I babied it for a year thinking it was done as I didn't want to spend a dime on it. I didn't change it's oil and ran used and ATF fluid in it as it burned a qt/3 to 500 miles still getting 38mpg. Thankfully I didn't go with my initial diagnosis.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #9
Electron Blu

Electron Blu is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Im having the same noise coming from my front end while turning at times but not while driving straight... found out my front right bump stop is cracked
Electron Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #10
Lookingoutbelow

I’m surprised you made a Saturn last that long lmao �� I just changed my belt tensioner this morning didn’t have time to drive it yet, so I don’t know if that solved the problem. I looked and couldn’t find anything that would clunk in the engine bay, I have to take it in for an alignment Wednesday I’ll have them check it out and see if they can anything!
Old 09-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #11
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I had a front end clunk as well and it ended up being the front compliance bushing. Both sides were just about completely torn (original factory parts)

your subframe could be misaligned as well.
mfarmakas17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #12
Lookingoutbelow

That’s my guess, because everything on the suspension was replaced and or looks fine, and the clunking only happened after the engine swap which I did remove the subframe, i’ll have them adjust the subframe when aligned and see if that solves the problem!
Old 09-12-2018, 12:28 PM   #13
Lookingoutbelow

Just got my car back from the mechanic he said he ended up tightening every suspension bolt for good measure aligned the subframe and aligned the car, and took it for a test drive and the clunk is gone! Just rode it from his shop to my shop, doesn’t seem to be clunking, wasn’t a long drive but I have faith it’s gone because it would happen constantly! I did the belt tensioner Monday put the used one on from my other engine he said it must be bad because it’s clicking so I’m going to order a new one and put it on and hopefully that solves the whining sound, I’ll keep everyone posted!
Old 09-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #14
Lookingoutbelow

So the clunking is 100 percent gone! Like I said I was told to change the tensioner to a brand new one order a gates auto tensioner, hopefully that clears up that issue, because it’s getting worse as time goes on. I’m going to switch my throttle body to the one that came with my newer engine, the is iac valve was dirty so I let it soak in the parts washer for a couple of weeks and seems to be better, because my old throttle body has a lot of miles on it lol just want to do it for good measure! The part should be here Tuesday so I’ll do the tensioner Wednesday morning and let everyone know if that solves my issue!
Old 09-13-2018, 09:28 PM   #15
marko16

The mechanic said "shit I forgot to tighten that bolt". Most Saturns will run forever, but once they start to burn oil (clogged oil control ring) people don't check the oil and blow up the motor. Toyota had this issue for a while as well
Old 09-14-2018, 08:26 AM   #16
Lookingoutbelow

I actually put all the suspension on so maybe I forgot to tighten a bolt lmao, but who knows the subframe was unaligned so I’m not positive to what was causing the clunk! And honestly never knew that about Saturns, thanks for the info! And toyota did have that problem, I owned a 2001 Corolla I bought for 300 bucks went through 2 quarts ever couple weeks, just kept filling it with cheap oil and that thing was a beast! until I hit black ice and slid into a garage truck that was illegally parked haha no joke best piece of shit I’ve ever owned, I put barely anything into that car!