Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

High Mileage Type S - Preventative Maintenance

11K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  TheRickster 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

My Type S is about to hit 300k kms (~190k miles). I keep up to do date with my regular maintenance like fluids, spark plugs, filters, etc. With my mileage being high and the maintenance schedule stopping at 260k km, I'm left wondering what I should do to make sure I can keep the car running optimally as long as possible.

The engine still pulls great, I had a compression test done a year and a half ago and it's good. Rust free body as I store it in the winter. I've owned it for about 4 years (since it was at 200k km) and in that time I haven't done any huge maintenance items yet.

This is my list so far for 2019:

- Change Transmission Fluid
- Replace Battery Terminals
- Replace Windshield (lots of tiny chips on it)
- Replace Fog Lights (infamously cracked)
- Replace Radiator - Mishimoto Performance Aluminum Radiator + Coolant + Rad Hoses
- Replace Air Filter
- Valve Adjustment
- Replace Brake Fluid
- Clean Idle Control Valve
- Check Spark Plugs
- Replace Timing Chain Tensioner
- Replace Water Pump
- Replace Serpentine Belt + Tensioner

The goal here is preventative replacements on anything that would show wear at this high mileage point. I still want to get as much performance out of it as possible. Anything else you guys would suggest that I should look into doing?

:run:

See less See more
#2 ·
Oil chain and tensioner as well sicne you're also doing the timing chain.

Also I would either replace the IACV or leave it until you have issues. A lot of people mess them up cleaning it. I've always treated it like a "well it's already broke so might as well try" thing.

A lot of what you have is overkill or just extra and could be replaced with much more useful refreshing. I wouldn't worry about the radiator unless it gives you an issue, if you're nervous about budget that's something I'd easily replace with bushings/tie rod ends/ball joints etc. Otherwise add those to the list to!

#5 ·
In that list I would do:

- Change Transmission Fluid
- Replace Fog Lights (infamously cracked)
- Replace Coolant
- Replace Air Filter
- Valve Adjustment
- Replace Brake Fluid
- Clean Idle Control Valve (if it works don't touch it)
- Check Spark Plugs
- Replace Timing Chain Tensioner
- Replace Serpentine Belt

To add to that list:

- Check steering system (tie rods, etc.)
- Check braking system (look for seized calipers)
- Power steering flush (only use Honda fluid)

I'm at 245,000kms and I've most of this except the TCT and valve adjustment.

#6 ·
Hey everyone, I'm in the same boat with high mileage 2003 Type-S. Just broke 185K miles and going up steadily as it's my daily.

I recently changed transmission fluid with Amsoil Synchromesh with good results. My engine burns about 1qt of oil every few gas tanks using Valvoline, but I'm going to try a different synthetic on the next change to see if that helps.

I agree with TTercel to check steering and brake systems, too. My power steering pump whines so I will replace the O-ring and flush fluids.

Other than that I also need to replace engine mounts (or add Energy Suspension inserts) and suspension bushings. My shifter is really sloppy so I'm replacing those bushings, too.

Also it's worth checking wheel hub bearings. My rear hubs hum above 40mph and will probably be replaced soon.

I'd like to just say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," because a simple job can turn into a nightmare if the bolts are rusted and seized. But if anyone else is doing other PM I'm interested to hear what they are up to!

#7 ·
I have a 02 type S, 165k miles.
Replaced the 3" crack on top of the radiator (plastic) with another plastic top radiator. Should had replaced with an all aluminum radiator.
Also replaced the top and bottom hoses, thermostat and serpentine belt (dry, making noise).

#9 ·
I started using Amsoil Full Synthetic OE and I'm pretty happy with it. I used 10W-30 during the hot summer months and just switched back to 5W-30. Now I only add half a quart every few tanks. Kind of depends on how much I rip VTEC, haha!

I also re-threaded my oil drain pan with an oversized plug because the previous owner stripped it out and it was leaking slowly (few drops a day), so that might skew my results a little bit.

As far as my power steering pump, it still whines loudly and I can't figure out why. If anyone has a solution I'd appreciate some tips.

#10 ·
A friend of mine has had plenty of Honda's and he used to run full synthetic, and it seemed to make leaks always worse. Now he says to run strictly high mileage valvoline Maxlife 5w30 (it has all sorts of leak conditioners) and when he switched a week later it all dried right up.
As for your power steering pump, it's most likely starting to fail, best to change it out sooner than later if that's really what it is. Are you sure it's not a power steering pressure line with a hole in it? They both make the same noise typically.

#14 ·
My Acura baby is nearing 190k and seem to be driving fine. I’m not a big car person but have been taking care of my car for usual maintenance and such. Ever since moving to tx my commute is way further and putting a lot more miles into my car. I plan to run my car down till it’s last leg. Do you recommend just going to some mechanic to do the preventative maintenance or go to Acura dealer. I just don’t want to be paying an arm and leg if I go to the dealer vs local reputable Honda certified mechanic for the stuff listed above? I appreciate the feedback in advance.

#15 ·
You should be able to find a reputable local mechanic or take care of most stuff yourself.

If you do your power steering fluid you MUST use Honda brand power steering fluid. I also buy the Acura/Honda coolant just to be consistent with anything in the system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.