Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Just bought an 02 rsx type s..first mods?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  andezack 
#1 ·
Hey so like I said I just picked up an 02 rsx type s...car has an aftermarket exhaust already. When it comes to adding hp..how much hp do you think I could gain if I put in some new cams, header, etc I understand it will be limited but hey if I can achieve 220whp I’ll be happy

#5 ·
I'd forget about cams until you have everything else sorted.

Grats on the new car btw.

- Intake You will want the intake eventually, you might as well buy it first and get associated with your engine bay a bit. The short ram one is fine, in my opinion. Whatever the ebay ones are are fine too, really, for like $30 bucks. Youll just replace the filter when you get around to it rather than clean it.

- Exhaust You say it has exhaust but not exactly what exhaust it has. You'll want to get after a race header and catback. If you have both of those already, great.

- Kpro/RBC intake manifold This is where you'll start opening up the power. You can buy/run the Kpro first but if you're doing the rbc eventually, you'll be paying for two tunes. Doing these at the same time is ideal.

After those, in that order, you should be putting out around 210-220hp w/t 150-160tq with a much more satisfying car. In a straight line anyways. If after that, you feel like you need more, you'll probably find that spending money on cams or any additional NA engine stuff is pointless and start looking at reasonably conservative turbo builds.

Hopefully you throw on a half decent set of coilovers, wheels and tires in there as well.

Good luck in your endeavors :thumbsup:

#8 ·
Ok so I looked around the car a little bit. The brand of the exhaust is called “medallion” it also appears the car already has headers. It looked like the stereotypical header wrapped in heat wrap. So when it comes to intakes buying a cheap one will work fine? I’m seeing some that are 200-300 bucks but if a 50 dollar one works I’ll just go with that. Also for the intake manifold, could I just go with the skunk2 pro? Lastly, dumb question but where the hell is the ECU located?? Sorry I have so many questions lol

#9 ·
No worries.

Your exhaust is the Tanabe Medallio, I remember those being pretty reputable.
https://www.kseriesparts.com/TAN-T70046.html

Yeah expensive intakes are a rip off in my opinion. They might use a better filter but just try not to drive through a sand storm or piles of ashes or other things you'll never likely see on the road. Replace the filter with something more reputable when you get a chance for like ~$20 bucks.

For the intake manifold, it would probably be easier to find/buy the skunk manifold vs finding a cut and prepped RBC. Just make sure to use the Hondata manifold gasket. I forget if you need anything to adapt the throttle body to that. Could just do a bigger throttle body at the same time to match the inlet of the manifold.

I believe its under the dash on the passenger side, but that would've been an easy search :p

#10 ·
So I just installed a ram air intake which I bought off eBay (lol) anyways I was having fitment issues (obviously from buying a cheap intake) anyways i decided to just hook it up to the first end of the stock piping since it was the only way I could fit it on there..will I be able to get by doing this? Car runs fine and vtec is now loud af

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.