Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Large Dent removal technique

5K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  RSXBaltimore 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm going to try this on my wife's old civic, then try it on mine lol. Anyone ever tried this? Supposedly it works on larger dents, with no creases on them of course.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/501379/remove_car_dent_with_airduster/

Edit: Repost, but I noticed in all of the other threads, no one has actually done it themselves. So has anyone tried it? Don't want to waste my time if it doesn't work.

#5 ·
sorry ts. i dont mean to thread jack, but i felt like my question wasnt worth making a whole new thread for.

heres a picture of my dent.. do you guys think pdr can get it out, or will i have to go to a body shop to get it fixed. i was already quoted about 500 to fix it at one body shop. it wasnt an official quote or anything because i just asked since i was there for something else.

i really just want the majority of the dent to come out. it's so noticeable...

#7 ·
Use actual dry ice. it's not as expensive. The entire process is a long one though so be ready to spend your weekends working on the dent. I have that ran from the top of my driver side fender by the hood down to the wheel area. I spent two days a week about 4hrs each day working on that damn dent.

So after sweating it out under the sun this summer and fighting with a dent that was deep enough that I could stick about half of the last digit on my pinky finger in it's almost gone now. You can only see what's left of the dent at certain angles or when you slide your hand across it.

I've cut back on working on it since it's fall now. I'm hoping the cold weather might help correct the dent in the metal. I was quoted 600 to get it fixed by the body shop. So far I've spent 175, and still have more to go...but not much. It works, just takes a long time.

Also if you do use this method, when the metal starts to "scream" or make noise it's back to it's original shape or your not hitting the dent with the cold treatment. Also heating the dent up with a hair dryer(NOT A HEAT GUN) before using the dry ice will help speed up the process.

#8 ·
I have seen what PDR shops can do and I would say they could get that dent 100%. I wouldn't really risk doing a DIY on a dent like that. You could end up damaging the paint and still having to get a shop to fix it. I have had really good luck with all my cars at PDR shops.

#9 ·
are you talking about my dent? cuz i tried to get an online quote from a local shop and sent the guys that same exact picture and the guy called me up and told me that he would most likely not be able to get it out... although, the real question i have is whether they would be able to get it out at least like 75%. i would pay full price if they could do it to 75%

#12 ·
I just tried this, very dissapointed. I have a dent on my door thats been bothering me for ages. It's not a sharp dent, more of a dull long dent, but not very deep.

Anyway, long story short, I wasted $5 on an air duster which i really needed for gas at the moment lol.

#25 ·
Dry ice more effective since you can do it over a broader area, and it's consistently cooler. But even that is dependent on the dent itself. Personally I really favour just taking it in to a PDR shop. They are much more affordable.

Concept looks good but I'd be concerned that the paint wouldn't survive- especially with the dry ice method
I wouldn't do it at high noon on a sweltering summer's day, but I haven't yet heard any stories of paint damage.

I met this one guy recently his name was Moore and named his company one1moore and he did a demenstration and used metal rods with a curved tip and the end to push dents out, anyone heard of it or him? He can get out a dent the size of a fist with just that and makes it look perfect. I'm sure there's others that do use this technique.
That's standard PDR (paintless dent removal). The technician will use a variety of metal rods and pulling cups around the dent to pull and massage the dent back into shape.
www.dentwizard.com is one of the bigger names around here using that technique.
It's advantageous for it's fast work and low cost. Some places in the US will charge something like $80 for the first ding and $10 for every one after. Really good rates, and they can pull some pretty big dents out.
The disadvantage can be that dents often have a scratch or chip at the base, and they don't repaint.

You can buy DIYer home PDR kits like the DingKing for anything from $15-$100, but they generally don't work well on anything bigger than a knuckle.
A pro's kit is usually some $750+ in rods and $250+ in glue and tabs.

#21 ·
I met this one guy recently his name was Moore and named his company one1moore and he did a demenstration and used metal rods with a curved tip and the end to push dents out, anyone heard of it or him? He can get out a dent the size of a fist with just that and makes it look perfect. I'm sure there's others that do use this technique.

#23 ·
I had a very very similar dent from a lady in subbie outback backin up into my passenger side door and quarter panel and PDR removed the dent but couldnt completely remove the vertical crease (say removed about 90% of it) because the damage was at the outer edge of the quarter panel... you may have better luck with a fender tho. PDR is worth it... he fixed tht and cleared out all the dings in my door for about 100ish.

#31 ·
I know this post is old but it may help some of you.
First, i would try heating the panel with heat gun and then cool it down with compressed air. This method works great. Also if dent shallow try to remove panel and access it from backside. Push it out with your hand. This should minimize the size of your dent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.