Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Base vs. Type S for full DC5R Replica

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  EP3A2 
#1 ·
If you were going to build a complete and full JDM DC5R replica, K20A, Y2M3, Brembo full suspension and +60 wheels, all bracings, ect, ect. with or without RHD conversion, would you want to start with a base model or a Type S?

does it matter in the long run, and how does it effect the end value?

#3 ·
I don't know about making a Type R replica or how much your choice will effect the end value but the Type S does have better parts then the base (again, not sure how many of those you are all going to replace) but the base (at least in Canada) doesn't have a moon roof, which the Type R also doesn't have. So it would look closer to the Type R if you are being that meticulous.

#5 · (Edited)
that, is an incredibly good point which I had not considered, I am in the process of a sunroof restoration in another car right now (1984 nissan 910) and let me tell you, sunroofs suck. and I would be trying to be that meticulous.

S would be easier since it already has the bolt holes for the front strut bar and rear lower tie bar. Base does not.
which bolt holes? the rear lower tie bar mounts in between the control arm bushings right? and the front mounts on the top hat bolts right?

#13 ·
Get a clean base shell

Sounds like you just need the shell. It doesn't matter which one since you'd be replacing practically everything. The Canadian base would be a good option if you're willing to go through that process of shipping a car that has no sunroof. You'd pay less sealing up the sunroof with sheet metal.

Drilling holes for the strut bar and adding brackets is too easy. Since bases are for the most part, less expensive than a Type s (generally speaking, not looking to argue), it would be a good idea to start the search for a super clean base, even if it's automatic. IMHO.

In 2015, I bought an automatic 02 base (after my S was stolen). Since then, I've swapped out the motor/trans, converted to manual, upgraded suspension, brakes to Type S and still have lots more to do on it. It's my daily but my plans are to make my own version of the Type R, slowly but surely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.