Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

p1259 code...........erggggg!!!

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  RustSX 
#1 ·
2.4, bobo model 2004 RSX, automatic,
Ok, replaced entire solenoid unit, with both new sensors, replaced speed sensor......
Still got the code, (yes I disconnected the batteryyyy)
Any ideas?
My friend said to change the oil, it is past 3 months, but level is good.
Is there another sensor that could cause a false reading??
Thanks for any help, daily driver, just happened today. Needs my car yo!!

#5 ·
Replaced entire solenoid unit with both sensors in back, I’ll check on the front one, thanks.
Had someone tell me they had same problem, changed the same stuff I did, still went into limp mode and p1249 code, ended up being the VTC sensor ??
Anybody know what that is? He said “on the engine block” pretty vague
Also been suggested to change iil pressure switch, under rear solenoid.
So any more help is greatly appreciated, I got tomorrow off, hopefully can get this thing running.

#6 ·
Is that front cover behind the power steering pump? If so so, what’s the easiest way to get to that? Remove entire pump assembly? Can I leave hoses connected? Is the screen easy to unclog or do I need a new one?
Sorry for all the questions, I’m getting a little panicky, looks like a lot of work

#10 ·
That’s what I’ve been saying. How does a wire just go bad, or the computer for that matter. It’s got to be a component of the vtec system. And really all that’s left is the VTC solenoid.
The oil sending unit was suggested, I figure, it can’t hurt. But I’m pretty sure that just goes to the cluster.

#11 ·
Update.... replaced VTC solenoid and light still comes on, BUT, comes out of limp mode, light stays on and it’s sluggish but I can rev over 4K.
So it’s still not running VTEC but it’s not in limp mode.
Now it’s time to start tracing wires, ughh
The power steering hose above the pressure switch is leaking right down on the assembly. Buddy says could have “cooked” the wire, making it brittle. ??
I’ll keep y’all posted.....

#12 ·
Fixed!!!!!! So after replacing everything and checking wires I came back to the VTEC solenoid I replaced first. From O’Reillys.
Bought a new gasket and stuck the original VTEC solenoid back on and it works. Lights out, not throwing the code, and out of limp mode. Woo hoo!!
So it was actually either the VTC solenoid or the front VTC filter screen that was bad, or both.. Like I said, I replaced everything..... but my Honda mechanic friend said those VTEC solenoids rarely fail, it’s always something else.
Hope this helps.

#13 ·
Currently dealing with this same code. I checked the VTEC oil pressure switch for continuity. It maintains continuity for a few seconds and then appears to lose it? Is this normal for a bad switch? I'm probably going to take out the whole assembly and change the filter but before I spend money on an OEM switch I want to make sure it is the likely cause.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.