Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
144K views 602 replies 332 participants last post by  BrutalB83 
#1 · (Edited)
For all those general RSX basic info questions that have been asked/answered 1k times before, but you are still going to ask again anyways.

Of course it is preferred that you search for the answer, but if you just have to ask please do it here instead of making a thread that will most likely just get locked anyways...

Couple simple rules.

1. Before asking a question please look at the different sections and make sure there isn't already a specific forum for your question.
For example questions like "Are Skunk2 coilovers any good?" Would belong in the "Suspension, Chasis & Brakes" forum, not here.

2. Don't post telling them to to "search". Either answer the question, post a link to an answer to the question, or don't post.

...and for some basic information to start with read this...
Acura RSX from wikipedia

Owners Manuals

02-04 Acura RSX Owners Manual
05-06 Acura RSX Owners Manual

There are links to download the 02-04 Helms manual in this thread
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=348032&highlight=free+helms+manual
or thanks to v3ngence here -(LINKED Edition)02-06 Acura RSX Shop Manual.pdf

Error Codes
http://www.chiltonlibrary.com/TSBContent/066000/065681.pdf

Paint Codes
02-04: http://www.chiltonlibrary.com/TSBContent/066000/065662.pdf
05-06: http://www.chiltonlibrary.com/TSBContent/072000/070641.pdf

What type of fuel is best for my car?
As per owner manuals:
RSX base model all years manual or auto = Regular unleaded
RSX Type S all years = 91 octane or higher

What was that OEM online parts store again?
Delray Acura (acuraoemparts)<---Most people's favorite
HondaAcuraWorld
AcuraPartsPeople
HondaPartsUnlimited

What does *insert acronym or internet slang term here* mean?
Look here Urban Dictionary
RSX color acronyms
JGM - Jade Green Metallic
MM - Magnesium Metallic
VBP/ABP - Vivid Blue Pearl/Arctic Blue Pearl
PWP/TW - Premium White Pearl/Taffeta White
BOM - Blaze Orange Metallic
SSM/AS - Satin Silver Metallic/Alabaster Silver
EBP - Eternal Blue Pearl
NBP - Nighthawk Black Pearl
DSM - Desert Silver Metallic
FRP/MR/RRP - Firepepper Red Pearl/Milano Red/Redondo Red Pearl
a few other common ones
esmm = Energy Suspension Motor Mount inserts
i/rh(or h)/e = intake/race header (or header)/exhaust

Why does the 2005 RSX Type S have more horsepower than the 2006
It doesn't. They have exactly the same horsepower. SAE changed the way they rate horsepower between those years (the 02-04 would actually also be lower under the new system). There was no change to the actual power of the car.

Why did my "Maintenance Required" light come on, and how can I turn it off?
It comes on every 8-10k miles to remind you to service your vehicle.
To turn it off:
1. You put your key in
2. leave the key in off and hold the trip meter reset button for 5 sec
3. keep holding the button and turn the key to the ON or II position
4. keep holding until the maint. req. light turns off
5. If all it does is reset your trip meter, go back and try it again.

What all on the 02-04 models did they improve on the 05-06 models? (copied from the wikipedia article at the beginning of this post...)
* Revised suspension tuning for increased handling precision and a smoother ride
* Ride height reduced by 7 mm
* Optimized damper and spring settings
* Firmer stabilizer bars (front and rear for Type-S, front for RSX)
* Bushings at suspension installation points were optimized
* Inversely wound front coil springs
* Refined steering system for enhanced feel and quicker response
* Swifter steering ratio
* Stiffer steering column
* Pump flow increased by seven percent
* Kickback reduction valve
* Optimized braking system for enhanced stopping power and feel
* Pedal stroke decreased
* Master cylinder diameter increased
* Brake pedal to rigidity increased
* Larger diameter 17-inch sport design alloy wheels and 215/45R17 all-season high-performance tires

* Body rigidity increased 15 percent in front and 21 percent in the rear through the application of reinforcements at key areas

* Vehicle noise and vibrations reduced
* Engine damper added to front subframe to reduce engine rocking and vibration transmitted from the engine to the cabin
* Insulation material added at key points on doors and roof to reduce road noise
* Side-mirror gaps sealed and weather strip added
* New front and rear bumper designs
* Redesigned headlight and taillight assemblies
* Restyled signature 5-sided Acura grille
* Redesigned side sill garnish
* Four new exterior colors: Magnesium Metallic, Vivid Blue Pearl, Jade Green Metallic, Blaze Orange Metallic
* Freshened interior design
* Deeply bolstered front seats with thicker cushions
* New chrome and titanium-look accents
* Meter faces changed from metallic to white

2005 & 2006 RSX Type-S Additional Enhancements:

* The engine intake and exhaust modifications that boost the power of the Type-S models to 210 hp (157 kW) at 7800 rpm (revised to 201 hp (150 kW) in 2006), compared to 200 hp (150 kW) at 7400 rpm on the previous model.
* Higher performance camshafts sourced from the Type-R engine
* An enlarged throttle body sourced from the Type-R engine
* Air intake duct enlarged for increased air flow
* Larger diameter exhaust pipes to increase exhaust flow obtained from the Type-R model
* Catalytic converter optimized to reduce exhaust backpressure
* Larger diameter front strut tower bar gas
* Bushings replaced by bearings on strut mount
* Deck lid spoiler
* 6-speed transmission optimized with a lower final gear ratio for quicker acceleration and carbon synchronizers replacing brass on 5th and 6th gears for a smoother shift feel

Gear Ratios for the 2005 & 2006 revision

Gear Ratios 1st Gear - 3.267 2nd Gear - 2.130 3rd Gear - 1.517 4th Gear - 1.147 5th Gear - 0.921 6th Gear - 0.738 Reverse - 3.583 Final Drive - 4.765

I just bought and RSX. What should I do with it?
Decide on what your goals for the car are, read the performance sections, and then start working towards your goals.
Nobody can tell you what to do with your car. It's all up to you.

See less See more
G
#570 ·
Dan, yes, that list is pretty complete. The only thing that would add to it would be if the owner wanted to replace the K24 oil pump with a Type-S unit, in which case they would need a few other parts and would be able to re-use their existing aluminum oil pan.

The issue with the header is a complicated one. Not all headers will fit with the stock sway bar and sometimes, with the same sway bar, one guy's will not clunk and the next guy's will. The real solution is to have a custom header made (like I did). Otherwise, it becomes somewhat of a game of mix and match.

Hope this helps.

#571 · (Edited)
What's up guys,

I have an 2004 RSX Type S that I bought like 6 months ago. The car came with Function & Form Type 2 coilovers. I want to replace these soon. I will also be getting new wheels for the summer.After searching I'm down to buddy club N+ coilovers or koni yellows shocks with eibach pro kit springs and a-spec suspensions. I'm looking to have a 1-2 finger gap. The wheels I'm planning to run in the future are 17x9 +35 or 17x9 +38 offset. I will be getting a camber kit also,don't know which brand yet. Will I be able to fit that size of wheels running the koni yellow & eibach pro kit springs setup? My car is daily driver. I would appreciate it if anybody can help.

Thanks

#572 ·
Okay i have a question bout parts i am about to buy i have an 06 type s with an injen sri and just got a kpro and my question is… with an RBC mani and the sri and header and exhaust..with optimal dyno tuning how much who is this looking at… right now i believe stock who is around 183 ishh??? please shoot me a link i can't find to proven dyne results or a close very educated guess.. thanks

#574 ·
I have cai/rh/e, and i was thinking about getting fog lights, but im worried about losing power because of lack of air flow. Has anyone ran into this? Or is the open vent in front of the radiator support big enough to supply enough air for no power loss?

Also i previously had a gsr with a short shifter, and the shoft shifter wasnt the whole shift box, it was just a shorter shift stick. Are there any like this for the type s? Or do i have to replace the whole shift box? When i search all i see is about the buddy club. I just want to shorten the height is all.

Thanks again.

05 type s. Injen cai, sk2 rh, invidia q300, hondata img. Sk2 coils.

#575 ·
04 w/o spoiler?

Hello all. So I have a 04 rsx type-s and believe type-s for that year is supposed to have a spoiler? I am the second owner and I am acquantiences with the original owner so I know they didn't get into a wreck and replace the trunk without the spoiler. Any help as to why mine doesn't have it?

#576 ·
Hello all. So I have a 04 rsx type-s and believe type-s for that year is supposed to have a spoiler? I am the second owner and I am acquantiences with the original owner so I know they didn't get into a wreck and replace the trunk without the spoiler. Any help as to why mine doesn't have it?
carfax or see if there is a vin sticker on the inside of the trunk.

#580 ·
What kind of rsx is easiest to mod should I go with a base model or go with the type s
At least with the type-s you already have a little more power so that gets you a step closer to a quicker vehicle if you're talking engine mods.

As for non mechanical mods. Either or. Both type-s and base are the same when it come to aesthetics. Neither are easier nor harder.

But type-s is better all around from the get go soooo...:coffee:

#583 ·
Could someone please tell me a parts list to get the a2 performance vtec outta my a3 what all I do have to change out I'm not wanting the vtec killer witch is all I could find if someone could help me out it would be highly appreciative wanting to get this done but can't find what I need
Thanks in advance

#584 ·
Could someone please tell me a parts list to get the a2 performance vtec outta my a3 what all I do have to change out I'm not wanting the vtec killer witch is all I could find if someone could help me out it would be highly appreciative wanting to get this done but can't find what I need
Thanks in advance

#585 ·
I just bought a 2002 base rsx and am new too the car scene, I've always liked how the skunk2 exhaust sound. I currently have a greddy sp tip, I am going too buy the skunk2 megapower exhaust too replace my greddy, but wondering if I should get the 60mm or 76mm? Right now I have an AEM Cold air intake. I am planning too get headers in a couple of months aswell. If I got the 76mm would any modifications need too he made and would I loose any power? Also where would you feel the diffrence, low-mid or mid-too end. Anyone that could point me in the right direction would be much appreciated!!!

#587 ·
Just bought the exedy organic stage1 clutch. I have approximately 137,000 miles on original flywheel. My question is is it absolutely necessary to replace my flywheel if I am replacing the clutch? and what is the average lifespan of the flywheel? I am thinking about buying a new flywheel, but don't really want spend too much money if I don't need to. Keep in mind, I do not race my car, can care less about racing, but I do like the speed and at times aggressive driving, especially when in la traffic. Thanks for the suggestions.

#591 ·
Hey guys, my apologies for the noob question.
I have an 04 RSX base. How many motor mounts are in the car. My front one is cracked (I can see it when on the lift). Bought the Innovative 60A kit. Replaced the left side one and the back. No front motor mount was included, Innovative says you have to buy that separately. So is there one on the drivers side as well (I have one of the three left over) I thought they sent me the wrong kit. So, are there 4 mounts in the car...if yes, what is this sh*t about the front mount being separate. I bought the kit thinking might as well just change all of them at the same time. Thanks for any info in advance it is greatly appreciated.

#592 ·
there are 4 mounts. Say you are sitting in the car, driver side would be the tranny mount far to your left under ther air box above the tranny. passanger side is on the right side by the belt. rear one is in the rear of the engine under the exhaust manifold. the front one is... well you know ! and yeah they dont come with the front mount. have to buy separate. hope this helped.

#596 ·
Boomerang armrest.

#602 ·
Hello Club RSX! I've been look for a quality double din touchscreen head unit that speaks in Japanese and give off that JDM vibe. I was in a friends imported r32 skyline that had a head unit that greeted the driver in Japanese and had a virtual cartoon assistant. I was wondering if anyone knew of a brand or model that could give a similar experience? Thank you for your help!

#603 ·
And is there some reason that you can't simply ask this friend where they got the head unit from? That seems like the the most obvious route to me. I'm not personally aware of any such thing. It might be some kind of customized OS versus a specific unit that you need to buy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.