Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

*DETAILED* door lock actuator replacement

80K views 59 replies 48 participants last post by  DnAngel37 
#1 ·
ok here is a more in depth door lock actuator replacement write up. This was done on both doors but the pics are only from the drivers door on a 2002 RSX Base.

Tools Needed :
-10mm socket
-#2 phillips head screw driver
-#3 phillips head screw driver
- small tip flat head screw driver

First you need to take the door panel off.

you need to remove (2) #2 phillips screws from under the the armrest

then you need to remove the cover from behind the door handle, this will require the small flat head screwdriver. you will need to lift the clip in the hole and pull the bottom of the cover out.

once removed you will need to remove (2) #2 phillips screw from behind the handle. it is easier if you remove the forward one first.

once you remove the screws pull the handle out but be delicate as there is the latch cable and the power lock plug on the back. after the handle is removed there is (1) #2 screw holding the panel on behind the armrest grip. you will need to remove this

now to remove the handle linkages, first undo the wire harness to the power locks

then remove the latch cable. *be careful as this will break if you are not delicate*

now remove the power window controls. this will pop out easily with a flat head screw driver from the front.

now just disconnect the wire harness. (it might be a little tight)

now remove the triangle trim piece behind the mirror. it just pops out, (1) clip, just be careful not to break it.

Now you can remove the door panel by lifting up and pulling out. there are clips around the bottom and sides and the top sits in a track

now pull the water shield back. (remember to not rip this because you will re-use it.) beneath this you will see (2) wires groups going to the door lock. one brown and one black. remove the clips holding them to the door

with these removed roll the window up (plug the switch back in to control window) now reach inside the door and undo two control arms to the lock. (1) silver and (1) gold.

these clips are just like the latch cable clip. be delicate and rotate the clips off the rods

now you will pull the rods out of the holes they are in. the gold one might be a little tough. you can pry it out with the screwdriver or use needle nose pliers.

with the rods disconnected you need to remove the window guide. it is held in by a 10mm bolt on the door

See less See more
#35 ·
This was pretty easy. Took me about an hour and a half. Only tricky part was not breaking the clip that the gold rod slid into. I had to manhandle that out of its home and luckily nothing broke. 38 bucks for a Honda OEM regulator and some time is a hell of a deal if you ask me. Great write up.

#38 ·
Used this tutorial over the weekend.

Great tutorial! My only gripe is that removing the power controls from the door wasn't necessary and was just added work. I was able to simply pull the panel off and disconnect the harness. I had about 8" of slack to play with so I had plenty of room.

Got the old actuator out and the new one in and back together in a little over an hour. First time taking apart a door, so thanks for the helpful tutorial!

#40 · (Edited)
stick with OEM... complete failure takes a bloody long time, the original owner drove it for 7 years, i'm now on my 7th year as well, the driver side DL failed over a year ago and i'm currently replacing the hatch one...

i had originally purchased an aftermarket driver side door lock actuator and it did not work at all, well sort of, the motor worked but it could not communicate with the oem
electrical system, meaning with the oem alarm and all that jazz, i sent it back for a full refund and upon installing the oem unit everything worked exactly as designed!

i do in fact utilize the oem security option.

#42 · (Edited)
i just did this yesterday, took me many hours cause I managed to strip one of the 3 exterior screws.

For the gold rod, use a large flathead and push it out from the left side (assuming driver's side door) via the window gap.

It also took me a while because when I was removing the actuator, parts of the lock assembly fell out and it took a while to figure out the lock mechanism for me to put it back correctly.

This was not a very fun fix, lots and plastics involved so you have to be careful not to crack things.

The ebay actuator works just fine, albeit mine is noiser than the OEM. Hope it lasts me forever...not looking forward to doing it again. *knock on wood*

#43 ·
Inside door handle issues

Thanks for the great write up. I used yours and a couple other references, and yours was the best.

I'm wondering if anyone else had this problem. I got the new actuator installed, and put everything back together. My alarm remote now works, but the inside door handle doesn't work anymore. The outside door handle does work. The rod attached to the door handle is attached, and when I manually pull it, I can follow the cable to the actuator and I feel it pulling the little white lever attached to it, but it doesn't seem to affect the actuator. My next step is to pull the actuator out again, but not until later this week, as it's getting too late for me to look into it some more tonight.

Btw, I couldn't get that golden rod unattached, but I was still able to pull the actuator out far enough that I could replace it.

Thanks for any help.

-Carlos

#44 ·
Fantastic guide. Worked flawlessly. However, my frustration in removing both rods caused me to break the little plastics clips that hold them in place.

The gold rod seems to be working ok without a clip but that damn like silver one (key lock rod) will not sit in place.

So now my door is unlocked at all times. Not a big deal considering I live/work in safe area but I want to get this project finished.

My question: does anyone know where I can get replacement plastic clips for the ends of those rods? Those clips are not an ANY parts list that I can find. I'm thinking about going to the local honda junk yard and scavenging them but considering how heavy handed I am I might not even know how to pull the full clips off without cracking them.

Help!

#45 ·
Good guide! I just replaced mine as well. 2 of the bolts that is holding the actuator to the door was striped so i spent quite a long time to extract them out. The gold rod is also quite difficult to take out and I had to muscle it out. I ended up ripping the moisture cover as well. :eek:

#53 ·
I just ordered the 5 door lock motors from eBay for $10 shipped. My door lock assembly order had not yet shipped. so I just cancelled it. If these motors work, I think we found a $10 solution for all 5 door locks failing on our cruisers.I contact Locksmith and he gave me solution of the problem.
You have ordered at a great price , i have bought that one for $20 and Locksmith will then fix it with the lock assembly.

#56 ·
what setting needs to be changed to get pics to show? thanks
Unfortunately, Photobucket screwed the internet and blocked all photos from being shared (unless the photo uploader pays for it). Unless the original poster is still around and is willing to upload the photos to another free hosting site and then update all his links, this DIY will be broken.

#57 ·
Just joined to say this DIY was awesome! Thank you so much for posting this

Two things I had problems with:
1) The gold rod is a pain. I WD-40'd it a bit and pushed it back and forth until it popped out. If it gives a bit as you move it fwd into the hole keep pushing it back and forth
2) The screws that hold the lock mechanism to the door are torqued really tight. I had to use some more WD-40 and a hammer plus a #3 Screw head to get it loosened

Other things here and there but this tutorial is a godsend. Thank you so much for providing this

#59 ·
So, I was having issues with my passenger side door. It wasn't locking or opening. I ended up replacing the actuator and now it opens, but I have to press the remote button a few times for the lock to actually open. Thought maybe it was binding coming up, so I took it back apart and everything looked good. I tried replacing the batteries in the remote and that didn't do anything to help. Has anyone else had this problem and what should I do to fix this? Thanks.

#60 ·
I was hoping someone may be able to help? I was getting ready to do this and I had a problem that my 3 #3 screws in the assembly were so seized that taking a huge amount of effort, an impact set, some penetrating oil, a TINY amount of heat (didnt want to melt any plastic connected), and even an air chisel and they STILL won't come out! They arent quite rounded yet...or too badly for one of them i believe. I'm at my wits end and am thinking i need to just drill them out. Does anyone know where to find replacement screws? ...of course this is provided that i dont ruin the whole assembly which if i do could someone also send me the replacement for that WITH screws? Please...I'd really like to have my door back together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.