5.062 final drive, Invidia RH + Q300, K-pro test (UPDATED 8/12/2015) - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > OTHER CARS > Videos
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 05-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
backman_66

backman_66 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx backman_66 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx backman_66 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx backman_66 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx backman_66 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx backman_66 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx backman_66 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx backman_66 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
5.062 final drive, Invidia RH + Q300, K-pro test (UPDATED 8/12/2015)

Shot a quick video of my RSX with a new 5.062 OEM Honda final drive and Competition Clutch Stage 1.5 with 11.5lb flywheel. It was really hard to wait for my clutch break-in period but finally I'm able to test it out some. Mods are listed in the video. It made a drastic improvement over my stock 4.389, very happy with it!

My cruising rpm's at 60mph are 3100-3150, whereas MFactory's gear calculator put it at 2950. So either my tach is off now, or MFactory's gear calculator is slightly off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuAQ6bEd0-I

UPDATE 7/29/2015:
I got my hands on a decent camera, a samsung galaxy s6, and decided to have my friend record a short acceleration video. The mods that I currently have are listed in the video, but this is a good place for people to hear what an invidia race header and q300 combo sounds like paired with an interesting 5.062 final drive that you don't see too often, all in decent quality recording (not my crappy phone lol).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yql6weUKtS4

UPDATE 8/12/2015:

Recorded another interior video without passenger this time. When I get a friend to help me, I will get a couple drive by's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQoL-MxKSi0

Last edited by backman_66; 08-12-2015 at 06:18 PM..
backman_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
dan_nguyen
Vietnamese Singer

dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
Nice man, looks like it improves the acceleration a lot. I'm currently running the ITR 4.7 FD and Quaife LSD, was using MFactory's calculator as well, but when I looked at a video I had of me on the track, 4th gear around 7800-7900 RPMs was putting me near 100 (it was a bad angle so I'm sort of guessing lol), but if I remember correctly MFactory's calculator put me around 110 at that RPM, so I'm not sure if my car is off or their calculator as well. Cruising at 60 for me is around 2700-2800, and 80 is almost 4000 (maybe 3800, don't remember).

How is the 5.1 for daily driving? I was looking at replacing the 4.7 with the 5.1, but unsure if it would be worth it, I may just keep the 4.7 and look for a lighter flywheel (11 lbs).
Old 05-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
backman_66

backman_66 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx backman_66 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx backman_66 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx backman_66 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx backman_66 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx backman_66 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx backman_66 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx backman_66 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I think that if you have the 4.7 already then it's not really worth the time or money to upgrade to a 5.0. It would help acceleration but you'll also lose gas mileage, especially if you cruise at high speeds. I just got it because my daily commute consists of some 45mph and 55mph zones at the most. So I don't really go on those 70-80mph highways where my rpm's would be crazy high.

While I'm in town, the speed limit is 35-40mph. Usually with my 4.3 fd, I would have to stay in 5th gear a lot of times to have enough acceleration in some areas. Now I can put it in 6th. So my mileage hasn't been affected as badly since I can use that last gear more often. I love the 5.0 but I'm not sure it's for everyone.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
jgnlz87
YOSOLO Tuned.

jgnlz87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jgnlz87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jgnlz87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jgnlz87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jgnlz87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jgnlz87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jgnlz87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jgnlz87 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by backman_66 View Post
I think that if you have the 4.7 already then it's not really worth the time or money to upgrade to a 5.0. It would help acceleration but you'll also lose gas mileage, especially if you cruise at high speeds. I just got it because my daily commute consists of some 45mph and 55mph zones at the most. So I don't really go on those 70-80mph highways where my rpm's would be crazy high.

While I'm in town, the speed limit is 35-40mph. Usually with my 4.3 fd, I would have to stay in 5th gear a lot of times to have enough acceleration in some areas. Now I can put it in 6th. So my mileage hasn't been affected as badly since I can use that last gear more often. I love the 5.0 but I'm not sure it's for everyone.
Thanks for the upload, I've been wondering about this for quite some time.
Do you think pairing the 5.0 FD with the TSX 6th gear would relieve the issue of crusing? I don't remember how much longer it is than the RSX but it should help some in that regards. What do you think?
jgnlz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
BOMrsxS
Master Member

BOMrsxS is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
TSX 6th gear will help immensely for 6th gear highway cruising.
BOMrsxS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
Type-RSX

Type-RSX is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
i found even the ITR 4.7 obnoxious. especially with a lowered Vtec engagement point, on the highway it becomes a buzzy nightmare.

You just gotta want it.

< Yeah that's right, I am a pilot.
Type-RSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
backman_66

Yeah if you get a TSX 6th then it would be great.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:05 AM   #8
aaronprotoge91

aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Hey backman66..hows the final drive holding up?? Do you regret the purchase yet? Does it bang through gears like a true drivers car? I like the acceleration you have even though youre basically stock with just a reflash!
Old 05-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #9
backman_66

It's doing great, as far as my transmission goes. My engine.. not so well. It blew up a piston in January. No idea why, as like you said, I was mostly stock at the time. Anyway, I now have another k20a2 in it with i / h / e / z1 cams / img / kpro (waiting to be tuned). I'll probably be posting another video once it's tuned. Feels really good so far though with just a base map. The added torque multiplier of 14% over the stock 4.389 gear makes a huge difference in acceleration and response in any gear.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #10
aaronprotoge91

aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx aaronprotoge91 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
hmmmm...I wonder if the higher revs could have contributed....to the piston issue
1.did you upgrade the tranny at all when you installed the 5.0 FD?
2. DO you have an LSD?
3. Are you using the stock type s 02-04 tranny? cause that's the one ill be using
Old 05-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #11
backman_66

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronprotoge91 View Post
hmmmm...I wonder if the higher revs could have contributed....to the piston issue
1.did you upgrade the tranny at all when you installed the 5.0 FD?
2. DO you have an LSD?
3. Are you using the stock type s 02-04 tranny? cause that's the one ill be using
Nope, higher revs have nothing to do with it, especially since I only cruise at about 3000-3100 normally and many people cruise at this rpm or even higher on highways with stock 4.7 FD. I had the stock transmission from my 02 type-s, only thing I changed was the FD in it. No LSD was added. It's perfectly safe to do it and had nothing to do with the piston issue. Civic Type R's come with with the 5.062 fd, same one I put in mine.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #12
aaronprotoge91

Quote:
Nope, higher revs have nothing to do with it, especially since I only cruise at about 3000-3100 normally and many people cruise at this rpm or even higher on highways with stock 4.7 FD. I had the stock transmission from my 02 type-s, only thing I changed was the FD in it. No LSD was added. It's perfectly safe to do it and had nothing to do with the piston issue. Civic Type R's come with with the 5.062 fd, same one I put in mine.
Beautiful, about how much did it cost you for your mechanic to install it? And how long did it take??
Old 05-11-2015, 05:14 PM   #13
backman_66

Well I had mine done since I needed a clutch change. So I went ahead and did clutch, flywheel, and the FD for about $600 I think it was. Took a couple weeks to get finished. But that just depends on how busy the shop is that you take it to.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:10 PM   #14
aaronprotoge91

Quote:
Well I had mine done since I needed a clutch change. So I went ahead and did clutch, flywheel, and the FD for about $600 I think it was. Took a couple weeks to get finished. But that just depends on how busy the shop is that you take it to.
You went without your car for a couple weeks? Dude i thought it would take a day or 2 tops
Old 05-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #15
backman_66

Lol we ran into a few hiccups along the way. I guess he dropped my 3rd gear so he bought me a brand new 3rd gear out of his pocket. I'd call that a win even if it took extra time, since 3rd gear is the one that usually fails the most in our transmissions. I should be getting my car tuned tomorrow hopefully, so I'm going to try getting a new video sometime soon. I've went like 700 miles without going over 3-4k rpms, it's killing me! I did get like 32mpg on my last tank though, when usually I get about 27-28.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:36 AM   #16
aaronprotoge91

Whyd you do that??? To break in the clutch??
Old 05-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #17
backman_66

Yeah I just got a new clutch installed and also I'm only running on a basemap right now so my tuner advised me not to go over 4k rpm until we get it tuned.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:46 PM   #18
aaronprotoge91

Quote:
Yeah I just got a new clutch installed and also I'm only running on a basemap right now so my tuner advised me not to go over 4k rpm until we get it tuned.
Yes that is sound advice...im still torn about installing the fd or lsd...think i might do lsd since it has a few more benefits over just the fd, not downplaying the fd in any way though. But yeah i want to see your review once you get fully tuned...what boltons will you be going with?
Old 05-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #19
backman_66

I got it tuned yesterday by Magnesium and it feels really strong now compared to before. In comparison, prior to this I had:

Injen cold air intake
Invidia Q300 exhaust
Hondata Reflash
5.062 final drive

And then after adding Invidia race header, z1 cams, hondata intake manifold gasket, and k-pro tuning, Magnesium sent me an "e-dyno" which isn't pinpoint accurate like a real dyno. It showed 207hp and 155ft/lbs torque. He said that torque numbers are usually pretty accurate, but HP can be a bit low compared to real dyno numbers. So I'm guessing I'm at about 210whp. The car feels really healthy and it pulls pretty good with that final drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monkiboy4551_final.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	474250  
Old 05-14-2015, 06:05 PM   #20
aaronprotoge91

Quote:
I got it tuned yesterday by Magnesium and it feels really strong now compared to before. In comparison, prior to this I had:

Injen cold air intake
Invidia Q300 exhaust
Hondata Reflash
5.062 final drive

And then after adding Invidia race header, z1 cams, hondata intake manifold gasket, and k-pro tuning, Magnesium sent me an "e-dyno" which isn't pinpoint accurate like a real dyno. It showed 207hp and 155ft/lbs torque. He said that torque numbers are usually pretty accurate, but HP can be a bit low compared to real dyno numbers. So I'm guessing I'm at about 210whp. The car feels really healthy and it pulls pretty good with that final drive.
Good Numbers! Hows knock?
Yeah that's around what my setup made when I had passwordjdm powerchamber intake, obx v2 header, kpro, hasport motor mounts, ingalls etd and stock exhaust, stock block k20a2.....not sure why you went with z1 cams. Don't seem to perform any better in this case.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:10 AM   #21
backman_66

Because z1 cams are identical to Type-R cams. It's a cheap upgrade from a2 cams, they have more duration. Did you get dyno'd on a dynapack or something that reads high? Cuz you shouldn't have made that kind of power with an obx header, decent intake, and stock exhaust. In any case I'm not sure of my real numbers without visiting a true dyno.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:01 PM   #22
aaronprotoge91

I did the whole edyno thing several times...got tuned by tktuning who is very reputable as well. Highest i ever put out was 212/ 153 and idk why you dont think its not possible lol the obx header has been proven to shine
Old 07-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #23
backman_66

Updated, bump.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #24
backman_66

Updated again.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #25
aaronprotoge91

hey man its been a minute i hope all is well, how do you like the FD so far? Still reccomend it? im asking becuase now my 3rd gear is taking a shit so ill have to crack my tranny open soon and im considering doin the FD while im in there