OneBadRSX05 Auto to Manual k24 swap - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > Member Show-Off RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 10-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
OneBadRSX05
Master Member

OneBadRSX05 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
OneBadRSX05 Auto to Manual k24 swap

Some may know me as the base auto boosted guy… well I decided I had enough of the k20a3 auto boosted car. It was fun while it lasted, I proved many things that no one thought it would do, such as make good power (228hp/225tq) with the base motor untouched and the plastic stock intake manifold. And also it made it about 9k miles, I don’t know officially but anycase it was a VERY rough 9k miles since I pretty much only drove it on weekends I autocrossed.
So here is the car that started…

My friend who had another RSX was just basically kidding around about selling his car, and I jokingly asked how much he wanted. I got to thinking and it was a no brainer to buy the car and part it out after taking the manual stuff and the 6 speed + engine. So we made the plans to go through with the car purchase, I went to the bank, got the loan. Drove down and did one last autocross in the Gray RSX as it was. My gf drove my car back home while I followed her in the new RSX. Here are all of my cars, 07 TL type S, 05 Base boosted, 03 Type –S

Spent 2 days driving it around and getting a feel for the car as it sat. The night before I was going to go put it under the knife my gf stated she really liked the car and wanted to keep it and not part it out. So me being me, got my wheels turning. It got me thinking that I could get all the parts I wanted to begin with, new shift box, shift cables etc etc. I agreed on the keeping the car idea, knowing full well it was going to cost an arm and a leg more. Good thing we had a good stash of money saved up for our wedding, which I used majority of that money towards this.

So we got the car in the garage and up in the air. As you can see here, the car had a K24a2!

We got on the first day pretty far on the removal of the engine.
The transmission was pretty much built, complete with the LSD and TSX 6th gear all because of this…. A broken engine mount.

I sent my friend this photo and he was sooo mad because he spent all this money on the transmission only for this to be the issue.
Got the motor on the picker

After some careful manipulation of the engine within the engine compartment, we got it out of there.

Big hole that’s left!

And even a random person! (my brother)

Here it is out of the car.

Took the engine out into the driveway for a nice cleanup. A previous axle let go and slung axle grease EVERYWHERE. So it was caked on the engine block and everywhere it could fit… or not.

Something is missing!, during cleanup of the actual engine bay.

Needed to get the oil pan taken off and dropped off to get tapped for the oil drain bung.

And also I decided to get the valve cover taken off for paint.

At this point we had cleaned up the k24, laid it off to the side, and cleaned the black RSX’s engine bay the best we could. The original idea was to purchase a 6 speed and mate it up with the gray cars k20a3. I then after looking over some things decided that the harness’s would be entirely different and opted to scrap that idea…….. after I had bought a spare transmission. So I ended up having to resell it to another person. More on this later.
So we were all done with the black rsx, so we pulled the gray one in the garage and started to work on it.

After removing the k24 we decided taking the entire front end, including the core support, radiator, etc out would be the best method to remove and replace on my car.

Unhooked everything we could and got the base engine on the picker this time.

Its removed! You can see how low we had it to remove entirely, core support out of the way makes things a TON easier.

My brother posing with the engine… acting like he lifted it out of there!

Here is the k20a3 with the turbo manifold all attached still.

It was a good run for the car as it was. But it came to an end, even though it still ran just fine!
So much room! If you notice the ac hardline removed, its because we ripped it out due to the turbo rubbing a hole through the hard line.

Clicky for my Showoff thread
Need autocross magnets? Click here for more details
OneBadRSX05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
OneBadRSX05
Master Member

Pushed the gray car out of the garage to get some room to work around in the garage… it’s a tight squeeze in his garage as its about 8 foot ceilings and has a pole in the middle of it.

The next step was to remove the entire dash assembly out of the gray car… In order to do some things inside the car.

Installing the clutch pedal!

Brake pedal was slow getting to me, it was on backorder for a day or so…
The clutch pedal was mounted in and just fine, my brother saw this huge gap here.

In the base auto, we don’t have the piece that is supposed to be holding that top of the pedal still… piece is suppose to look like this.

So we had a welder and had to improvise.

Brake pedal came in!

Decided to go with the Hybrid racing shift box and shift cables. Really glad I did, this pair is amazing. Shifts great and looks even better!!

So after deciding the a3 wouldn’t work with the a2 engine harness… I found a k20a2 take out with 65k miles on it, in Chicago, about a 4-5 hour drive, on ebay. It came with the engine and trans and some other things, all for 1200(when I looked and found it first). So I decided I would watch it like a hawk and see what it goes for… Got to thinking of it and I decided It was too good of a deal to pass up, so in the closing minutes I got into another bidding war with one other person. Ended up winning the auction and buying the whole lot for just under 1600.
I asked around for a truck to borrow and no one came through for me, which is understandable, Chicago and back isn’t exactly easy on a truck, so we decided to rent a truck from Enterprise. (I would suggest them again). Drove up and picked it up. It threatened rain so I brought some tarps, and tie downs.

Innovative has a deal where you can send your mounts back to them and get them redone… Here is the new one I was sent when I sent my broken mounts off.
[img] http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj47/onebadrsx05/20140806_105041_zpsb7e886af.jpg[/img[

At this point we were pretty sidelined waiting on parts for the k24 swap car to arrive. So we decided to get the black car done and gone.
Doing the same thing we did before, cleaning the new motor up!

Took almost no time to get the K20 in the car…

Hardest thing was getting everything lined up for the engine mounts and the exhaust side since I had snapped the bolts it had on there, I had to get new hardware! Went stainless this time. No rusting!
[img] http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...pscdb580e6.jpg[img]
Back to the k24 swap…
I got the first piece of the K24 back… the valve cover, turned out amazing, thanks Cory!

Then we installed the clutch slave fluid reservoir… looks so weird being there!

But noticed that the piece that holds the hard line fitting in the clutch master cylinder is not included so we had to order that piece.
Shown here it’s the holes in the middle of the photo… they need this U shaped object to secure the fitting.

So on the removal of the a3, I removed the downpipe from the turbo manifold, well in the process one of the bolts snapped off inside the manifold. Great. My brother slaved over trying to get it out using a torch, pb blaster, wd40, more heat, everything under the sun. Didn’t work out.

So we had to resort to drilling it out. Drilling it out was quite the rough task.

One broke inside the already broken off bolt, so with our efforts gone at trying to save the hole we had originally… we had to figure out the next size up for the hole to become. Ended up getting a tap from Fastenal and some cutting oil. Tapped it out to m10 x 1.25 and got it all straight.

After that fiasco was over, it was ready to install! Pushed the car in and got it in “Engine in mode”

Didn’t take long as we had just put the k20 in so we knew what we were looking for!

Started hooking everything up, most all the plugs and everything plugged right in except for a few… more on those later.
We decided since the auto harness was obsolete now, we just started picking plugs, and pulling wires so we could extend some for the k24.

Decided all this hard work going on, it needs to have a baller fuel rail and oil dipstick as the orange stock one just looked REALLY awful.

And while I was at it I got the oil cap to match as well.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
OneBadRSX05
Master Member

Since on the injectors I have, the RC 650cc, it required a conversion clip for the harness clips to match the injector clips.

Once we set that all up and plugged everything in I thought the plugs looked off and hideous. So I suggested we cut the injector plugs and hardwire the conversion clips to the engine harness itself. And instead of routing up the side of the engine, to come up through the middle of cylinder 2 and 3.

Really happy with how it all turned out.

Can hardly tell the inejctors are wired in!

The shift boot that came with the center console garnish, had a rip in it so I decided to go with this one from kseriesparts.com, and its suede. Its very nice! (Use a heavy duty stapler, don’t break one like I did.)(( I ended up having to use like a felt glue on the piece.)

Since I am running a 05 engine harness with the 03 transmission, the VSS is different from year to year. We followed a writeup about how to dremel out the VSS clip and then you have to cut the wires and rearrange them… yadda yadda yadda, it will work with the 05 harness for a 03 VSS.

We got everything hooked up and ready to put the front end back together!

All back together mostly!
Interior was next!
Dash is in… I wanted to see what the wheel looked like since I had to take the dash out before I could see!

With the dash all bolted down and ready to start putting pieces back together, we opted to finalize the wiring for a few things. The clutch interlock switch as I have not one, and the reverse lights.
Illustrated in the photo here, we found the 2 wires that controlled the reverse lights, followed them and they led up to the relay boxes behind the glovebox compartment. Basically we cut them out of the relay box. And crimped them right to the wires from the clip.

Tested and it worked!
Think in this photo I am uploading the basemap I had for the car. Getting so close to finished!

The interlock switch we had to find, also in that same plug [as reverse lights] and cut that wire since it wont be used on this car, we had to ground it somewhere, so we ran it to a known ground. Tested it by turning the engine over. Ungrounded the car would not even try to crank, grounded and it started right up without the clutch being pressed in, because that interlock switch I do not have.
(Unfortunately I don’t have a photo.)
One more afternoon of working on the put back process, the car is all but done! I have the ECU cover at home, I had forgotten to take it with me that day.

I drove it home a little while later on an NA tune, no charge pipes hooked up or anything on the intake, so it was a scary ride home!

As you can see the black RSX is already home and driving around! It had a map sensor issue, and once that got replaced it was a stock RSX type S!

Took the car the next day to Winning Formula to get it aligned. I wanted that to happen before anything else, last thing I want to do is get a set of brand new tires screwed up from a piss poor alignment issue! Oh and they also serviced the AC, blows ICE cold!

From Winning Formula, the car had an issue of wanting to stay running, so I wasn’t about to take it 30 miles to the next location… Chapman Enterprises. $70 tow bill was better than the 2 month process and many $$ to go kaboom on the way there.

He was going to run the intercooler pipes for me. Due to having the a3 the intercooler pipes I had were not going to fit due to the transmission being bigger and the throttle body being angled. Will did a great job on the project and I recommend sending your car to him for any car work.

He also modified some other pipes and made the above pipe for me…. Got it all back together for me and on to get tuned!

It was getting tuned at VIP Automotive, which was a few miles down the road so I was confident I could limp it there with the issue it was having. I pulled into the tuners parking lot and the car pretty much died, so I coasted to the spot I left it at. It was in the best place it could be in for having an issue with the tune or whatnot.
So it turned out the car had done something with the fuel pump and the pump wasn’t seated right in the housing it is in. So it was sending the fuel, it just wasn’t getting there with enough pressure. So he was able to diagnose and fix that issue within a few hours after he discovered the issue.
That would explain why the car ran so strange on me. Glad I didn’t cause any lasting damaging effects on the motor!
A few days later I get the all done text!
Car made 300 wheel hp and 294 tq.

I went to pick it up and test drove it around the block, my god its an ENTIRELY different car now. SO much fun. With the tq being so high so low in the RPM range, the car is literally going to be scary fast… so long as it keeps traction!

Special thanks –
My brother – He helped/did most of the work on both cars, I provided the information on what to do and he did it with my assistance… afterall he did go to Wyotech.
My brother – He helped this much… to be recognized twice, thanks bro!
Winning Formula (Louisville Ky) – Seriously if you have any issues with your car mechanically or you just need an alignment to racecar spec, hit these dudes up, Aaron and Scott are both stand up guys and are great to work with.
Chapman Enterprises (Crestwood Ky) – Will is a standup guy as well, go to him for anything and everything install/fab related. Might be a little bit of a haul from Lou, but totally worth it in the end. Great work and in a very timely manner, cannot express how great it was to work with Will.
VIP Automotive (Crestwood Ky) – Ryan (Potter) was an amazing guy to deal with. He helped diagnose the issue with the fuel pump, fixed it for me, and continued to work on my cars tune for many hours. I spoke with him at nearly 10pm on a Friday night and he was still at the shop messing with the car. He got me hooked up with the tune and street tuning for a very awesome price. He was nothing but a pleasure to work with. I would certainly give his name to anyone and everyone needing a tune. Keep in mind this project alone has many thousands in it, and I trusted him with the tune, that’s saying something right there anyways. And to boot, the tune is exactly the way I wanted it to be, hell I can even turn down the boost and not have to reload a new map everytime I touch that boost controller. If I want to stand on it in 5th and build some boost just for shits n giggles, I don’t have to worry about the CEL flashing at me from knock detection [like I had previously with a tune from a different person]((Also not that I would, just saying I can and not have to worry)). Needless to say I am a happy customer… Thanks again Potter!
Summary
The whole project was a HUGE undertaking. I didn’t think it would be such a big project. Im not sure the final total of $$ spent, but I am going to go out on a limb and say it was well above 10k. Im really glad that at the end of the 2.5 months, I have 2 functional RSX’s, one with a stock k20 in it, and the other with this beast of a k24 in it. My wife loves her RSX and so do I. It was well worth the investment to make her happy and for me to get my car the way it is today. I cannot think of anything else I can do outside of finishing the interior (passenger seat/harness/blah blah) and getting some aero mods done. Will those things happen, who knows… probably eventually, but when is eventually? Only time will tell. Maybe her car will undergo surgery for a supercharger or turbo…. Whats next? No one knows for sure. All I know, is that I am going to be smiling ear to ear.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

Type-Spaz has disabled reputation
nice work for sure man!
Old 10-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
OneBadRSX05
Master Member

Im SPAZ APPROVED!

I need to throw a sticker on my car.
I have a few left somewhere lmao

Old 10-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

Type-Spaz has disabled reputation
^hahaha damn right!
Old 10-25-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
dan_nguyen
Vietnamese Singer

dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own dan_nguyen must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
Scott is such a baller The build is incredible man. Looks like a ton of work but it paid off in the end

Sent a couple guys your way for magnets btw I'm the one with the magnets on my blue RSX with J's wing if you don't remember
Old 10-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
Ck_One
Downhill Specialist

Ck_One is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ck_One is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ck_One is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ck_One is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ck_One is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ck_One is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ck_One is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ck_One is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
wow wish i had the motivation to do something like this lol
Ck_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:00 AM   #9
OneBadRSX05
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_nguyen View Post
Scott is such a baller The build is incredible man. Looks like a ton of work but it paid off in the end

Sent a couple guys your way for magnets btw I'm the one with the magnets on my blue RSX with J's wing if you don't remember
Oh I know who you are! I want that wing!!

Ive had a few from out your way... need more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ck_One View Post
wow wish i had the motivation to do something like this lol
It was a long and expensive process, but it was well worth it. My wife loves her type-s so I am really glad we did what we did.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:28 AM   #10
PerezType-S
Master Member

PerezType-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx PerezType-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx PerezType-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx PerezType-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx PerezType-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx PerezType-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx PerezType-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx PerezType-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx PerezType-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx PerezType-S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
ehh wish i had a k24a2.
Nice thread!
PerezType-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:33 AM   #11
dc5_rmnb

dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Nice work...but why did you swap again?
dc5_rmnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #12
Turpid Porpoise
Shazaam

Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start Turpid Porpoise has a clean start
Big change from the old setup, I bet you absolutely love it now.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #13
OneBadRSX05
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerezType-S View Post
ehh wish i had a k24a2.
Nice thread!
Its a monster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc5_rmnb View Post
Nice work...but why did you swap again?
The gray car is like 9/10 compared to the black car. Plus it was already setup for autocross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpid Porpoise View Post
Big change from the old setup, I bet you absolutely love it now.
Its a monster, its incredible the difference.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #14
Dangerous Cricket
The Definition of Rice

Dangerous Cricket is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dangerous Cricket is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dangerous Cricket is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dangerous Cricket is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dangerous Cricket is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dangerous Cricket is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dangerous Cricket is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dangerous Cricket is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dangerous Cricket is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Sick build
Broke Student Crew Member #131
Dangerous Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #15
dc5_rmnb

dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5_rmnb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
What's your turbo set up like? I want to go boost and get similar numbers in tq. With that much tq 300whp is ideal for a daily/streetcar.
dc5_rmnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #16
G3min1
Curious Gooner

G3min1 is on a distinguished road G3min1 is on a distinguished road G3min1 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Love the progression man!
Cons: Your car can blow up

Supercharger Pros: You get that distinctive supercharger whine going down the street.
Cons: Your car can blow up
"Beating a Dead Horse Crew " Member #1
G3min1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #17
OneBadRSX05
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Cricket View Post
Sick build
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc5_rmnb View Post
What's your turbo set up like? I want to go boost and get similar numbers in tq. With that much tq 300whp is ideal for a daily/streetcar.
Its literally a greddy kit, nothing else other than the custom intercooler pipes. (T517z kit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3min1 View Post
Love the progression man!
Thanks man!

Old 11-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #18
rlippy001
@AllMotorRy

rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though
Wow. I cant believe I missed this. I too want to do a similar turbo setup (if i turbo) but in the 350 range. Its nice to see you were going for usable power. Not the "most" power. I love being able to push the car to its limits and its hard to do that spinning 500whp.
rlippy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #19
OneBadRSX05
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlippy001 View Post
Wow. I cant believe I missed this. I too want to do a similar turbo setup (if i turbo) but in the 350 range. Its nice to see you were going for usable power. Not the "most" power. I love being able to push the car to its limits and its hard to do that spinning 500whp.
Id rather have a 200 hp car that hooks, then a 400 hp car that spins. Sure youd chase me down in the long run, but Ill whore you off the line.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:42 AM   #20
OneBadRSX05
Master Member

2 year update. Car has had its ups and downs... currently it sits broken.

Broke 2 axles and a clutch in 2 years.

I think we have found the weakest link for the power! Winter project I will get it back on the road. Its going to be less racecar more daily driven moving forward.